Scouting for Trees

What are the problems with digging trees in clay?
One of the worst things with clay is that where it pulls away from the roots it's likely to take any feeder roots with it, so you wind up with few feeders. Be really careful levering it out of the hole, try to keep the clay intact as much as you can, and try to wash it off later.

What I definitely will get is this hackberry by my fence. I'm very intimidated by it as it's huge and very solidly planted.
View attachment 91079 View attachment 91080
Yeah...I have no cordless reciprocating saw. Just puny 120lb of me and hand saws.

Let's not forget no thumbs to properly operate the saw if you had one.
Your handicapableness is amazing, I always use my thumb To change ham radio channels!

For real.....take out that section of fence before you dig.....
Seems like a lot of work now.....
But it will take less time than digging with it there.

Cuz you definitely need to get this one.
Thumbs or not!

Sorce

Trunk and root reduction.
20160108_134746.jpg 1452289431564.jpg

I got this interesting one. Movement early and low branches. Cuts sealed now.

20160108_144018.jpg

Last time I'll ever go without powertools. My accountant had rejected my request. It wasn't in the budget, she said.

Took 4.5 hours of digging and sawing in mud/clay for the big one. Thirty minutes for the smaller one.

Last edited:
Trunk and root reduction.
View attachment 91238 View attachment 91239

I got this interesting one. Movement early and low branches. Cuts sealed now.

View attachment 91240

Last time I'll ever go without powertools. My accountant had rejected my request. It wasn't in the budget, she said.

Took 4.5 hours of digging and sawing in mud/clay for the big one. Thirty minutes for the smaller one.
A cordless reciprocating saw is an absolute must if you plan on collecting more trees. I think you can get one for ~$80 or so?

Also a long spade is very helpfull; I have used regular shovels which are not very useful, last time mine just snapped.

Not really anything else is needed for collecting as far as I know.

A cordless reciprocating saw is an absolute must if you plan on collecting more trees. I think you can get one for ~$80 or so?

Also a long spade is very helpfull; I have used regular shovels which are not very useful, last time mine just snapped.

Not really anything else is needed for collecting as far as I know.
Collected around a hundred last year without a power saw.
Craftsman fiberglass shovel and a Fanno hand saw.

Collected around a hundred last year without a power saw.
Craftsman fiberglass shovel and a Fanno hand saw.
While sawing and then carrying the heavy clay ridden trunk, you and your size kept crossing my mind. @Dan W. Too. I bet he gets a super workout everytime. Not only huge trees but long distances to hike and climb. Then there's @johng who collects big bald cypress in gator infested waters.

Got a rechargeable reciprocating saw for Christmas this year. Because it really should make things easier like Joe said. But the preceding years it was just the shovel and hand saw.

Got a rechargeable reciprocating saw for Christmas this year. Because it really should make things easier like Joe said. But the preceding years it was just the shovel and hand saw.
It is true you can collect without one, but I sure think it makes it easier! A good hand saw is nearly as good I am sure. Never had a good handsaw myself though.

Plus I like big expensive power tools...

They're awesome!

Collected a few small cedar elm, but there were these too. Another type of elm? Perhaps I'll have to wait for the leaves.
20160114_170903.jpg

And all without thumbs....

Take notes people!

I like the group there....

And the hack base, tough looking.

Nice!

Sorce

Went again today. As I dug I noticed a familiar smell. Onions? Chives?

20160118_152157.jpg

Could this be hawthorn? There certainly were thorns. Never knew where I could find close by. Much was small though. Still I think I found some that could be small slender bonsai.
20160118_160044.jpg
20160118_160226.jpg
I separated a part of the clump by cutting it where it came from to get a twisty portion. Hope it lives. I've never collected hawthorn before.
20160118_160749.jpg

I could hear noise in the brush. Don't know if it's feral hogs, illegal hunters, coyotes, or kids. I just kept minding my business after being on alert for a little while.

Collected only small stuff today. Don't know if I'll collect big stuff anymore. Here's a few smaller hackberry. I figured I should be open to shohin and chuhin.

Probably go back and lower this one 2 or 3 more inches.
20160118_170812.jpg
Nice root spread on this hackberry.
20160118_165100.jpg

Last edited:
Days layer after digging the hawthorn up, I thought the shock would cause it to drop the few leaves left from the fall. Still on there. I'll see how things go as we dip below freezing a few times next several days.

20160121_170350-1-1.jpg

Got some cedar elm. Here's one I'm keeping for cuttings and air layer.
20160123_165123.jpg

Bark on lower trunk.
20160123_165254.jpg

Bark higher up is more rugged.

20160123_165153.jpg

Brought home a crape myrtle today. Can you tell the original soil line? This tree was in a three gallon pot near a fence. Got neglected a chopped over and over as it grew roots into the ground. Wasn't too difficult to remove. The roots escaped from pot into dirty pea gravel. I like its deadwood and form.

20160124_165531.jpg

Back
Top Bottom