seeds i collected from a unique Acer maple

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Possibly Vine Maple. A, circinatum. Not native there but neither is Japanese Maple.
we dont have many vine maples around where i live, even in landscapes
i never saw one here but want one. i like the full moons as well and see them in nursery - i dont mind the larger leafs

we hit 40* last night...i think im going to tuck away everything on this shelf after another week or so

i have high hopes of getting 5+ of those maples to next season. they are 3 weeks past their prime foliage or w.e. but
took a lot of care with them all summer

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not seen much experimenting with pseudosieboldianum on its own, but Iseli (and a few other nurseries) have/are experimenting with crosses between Acer palmatum and pseudosieboldianum. The first cultivar that comes to mind is 'North Wind', which holds up to -35C (-30F).

edit: I just checked out the Iseli website, and it turns out they now have quite a few cultivars that are crosses of Acer palmatum x Acer pseudosieboldianum:

Jack Frost Collection:
Arctic Jade
Ice Dragon
North Wind

Pacific Rim Collection:
Cascadia
Final Fire
First Flame

I picked up an Arctic Jade this last spring and am looking for the Ice Dragon and North Wind this next year! The leaves on my Arctic Jade probably resemble Palmatum more than Pseudosieboldianum. Super interesting anyways, leaves are a bit larger than Palmatum but I imagine they will be able to reduce somewhat

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possibly Vine Maple. A, circinatum. Not native there but neither is Japanese Maple.
Unfortunately I think Circinatum is only zone 6 hardy, not too different from the Japanese maple. This past year I did collect a couple A. glabrum. Their leaves and internodes are incredibly small and I imagine that they will be an interesting species going forward

Edit:
I don’t believe you were responding to me but I’m going to leave my comment up!😂

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This almost looks like a takinogawa, but is too palmate, so I'm hesitant to suggest it... have you tried looking into that family yet? Mines a baby otherwise I'd show you its leaves (that and the texas weather was not kind to the leaf formation this year), but the somewhat fanlike structure is similar. Though again, I still think it's still too deeply palmated, either way, it's very pretty.

Attachments

• 1635439445096.png
    1635439445096.png
    513.6 KB · Views: 5

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This almost looks like a takinogawa, but is too palmate, so I'm hesitant to suggest it... have you tried looking into that family yet? Mines a baby otherwise I'd show you its leaves (that and the texas weather was not kind to the leaf formation this year), but the somewhat fanlike structure is similar. Though again, I still think it's still too deeply palmated, either way, it's very pretty.
thanks, that does look like a good hit and im going to research it. i had been leaning Korean Maple from a recent suggestion.

thanks for your input - i have about saplings in the garage now that im hoping some make it to spring, from the tree in question

alivation

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks, that does look like a good hit and im going to research it. i had been leaning Korean Maple from a recent suggestion.

thanks for your input - i have about saplings in the garage now that im hoping some make it to spring, from the tree in question
The other family is also a totally good suggestion and one i've been eyeing for my next tree! (there's one called peacock that I'm in love with personally, but that's a different story all together, it's just gorgeous in the fall, geez)

Let me know how these babies overwinter! This is really cool :D

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The other family is also a totally good suggestion and one i've been eyeing for my next tree! (there's one called peacock that I'm in love with personally, but that's a different story all together, it's just gorgeous in the fall, geez)

Let me know how these babies overwinter! This is really cool :D
thanks. a cool thing about the situation is they replaced glass in the area of parent tree, which gave me access to decent saplings because they werent mowing or weedwacking during the construction. so its an opportunity i might have only had one time, in a sense

Top Bottom