Self critique

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why do you still listen to people on FB?
Facebook is not worth 30 sec of anyone's time.
I agree, FB is not the place to go unless you want to be hammered into the ground by people who don't know anything and don't know they don't know; but will scream at the top of their virtual lungs that you are an idiot--at best and that you should do what they demand you do. FB is the sanctuary of those who are legends in their own minds, where fantasy quasi-esoteric reasoning is the rule of the day.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does everyone miss the point of a self critique? I don’t think it is to get pats on the back and participation trophies. Amcoffeegirl’s critique took a lot of courage to admit to herself and all of bnut. I just think the responses aren’t very helpful.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does everyone miss the point of a self critique? I don’t think it is to get pats on the back and participation trophies. Amcoffeegirl’s critique took a lot of courage to admit to herself and all of bnut. I just think the responses aren’t very helpful.
That's the good thing about a self critique you realize that in the end after all has been sorted in your own mind the only opinion that matters is yours. Some of the comments are helpful and no I don't want a pat on the back.
It really won't take that much to get them back where they belong. I know what I need to do. It is all about lighting for me. Thanks

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As long as you happy with the progress that you have made on your bonsai journey... You are at the top of the game. It is that simple.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As long as you happy with the progress that you have made on your bonsai journey... You are at the top of the game. It is that simple.
I'm clearly not happy- lol.
But I will continue to try. I don't want a participation badge. I have a couple projects that I'm working on. They will be better than past projects because I started with better stock. Considering that most of my trees started out as fairy garden trees I can't be too mad. The last pic is not a current pic.
I still have this one but it looks worse than this now. I don't want to spend a lot more effort on this tree. We will see.
IMG_1305.JPGIMG_1309.JPG

Last edited:

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree, FB is not the place to go unless you want to be hammered into the ground by people who don't know anything and don't know they don't know; but will scream at the top of their virtual lungs that you are an idiot--at best and that you should do what they demand you do. FB is the sanctuary of those who are legends in their own minds, where fantasy quasi-esoteric reasoning is the rule of the day.
Sound like anyplace you know?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just took all these to the junkyard.

Just teasing- moved them to my moms outside. What's left of summer will help them grow.IMG_8812.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just took all these to the junkyard.

Just teasing- moved them to my moms outside. What's left of summer will help them grow.View attachment 204480

That would be my only critique, they'll do so much better outside. Pretty tough to call out a Suthin tree. If it's a turd, it's one with lots of movement. If the FB clown see's this form a lot in his toilet, his not healthy.

Couple real nice ones. Cool.:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If any criti

That would be my only critique, they'll do so much better outside. Pretty tough to call out a Suthin tree. If it's a turd, it's one with lots of movement. If the FB clown see's this form a lot in his toilet, his not healthy.

Couple real nice ones. Cool.:cool::cool::cool:
I agree.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wanted to leave the wire on the Suthin tree but I did remove it because it was digging in pretty bad here.IMG_8786.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good exersize. Now go to your trees and take half of tham that you are least happy with. Decide whether each tree has enough going to keep. If not, sell or give away. The money you get for it, become the money for a better tree.

I try and do this once a year. Typically after visiting a major show. I unfortunately still have way to many trees that will not become bonsai, but have meaning to me. But the average boring nontrunks.. they move on.

I think it is easy to come to the conclusion that ones own trees are below average, not worth the effort etc. Important to realize: growing bonsai takes time. So do not judge the now, but the 5 or 10 year potential, linked to the work needed to make it a bonsai.

I think..

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good exersize. Now go to your trees and take half of tham that you are least happy with. Decide whether each tree has enough going to keep. If not, sell or give away. The money you get for it, become the money for a better tree.

I try and do this once a year. Typically after visiting a major show. I unfortunately still have way to many trees that will not become bonsai, but have meaning to me. But the average boring nontrunks.. they move on.

I think it is easy to come to the conclusion that ones own trees are below average, not worth the effort etc. Important to realize: growing bonsai takes time. So do not judge the now, but the 5 or 10 year potential, linked to the work needed to make it a bonsai.

I think..
I understand. I do get rid of trees fairly often.
I guess I just want one tree that is all my own work that I am 100 percent pleased with and proud of. I will keep working toward that goal.
If it is beautiful only to me - that is still the ultimate goal. A fat base with some good movement. I'm not asking for a lot. ?
I guess as my taste progresses I become even choosier about what makes it a good tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wanted to leave the wire on the Suthin tree but I did remove it because it was digging in pretty bad here.View attachment 204487
I am curious...if he treats ficus like pine. For the same reason they don't hold their shape well. The link on my "Too Little" thread Adam lists what some consider cons with ficus. Yet not so in, say...pine and lists other trees that have similar cons as the list was made. Makes me think...he treated ficus as pine...to hold the significant bends placed. Then removes...I don't know. Just thought that when I seen the wire biting.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh yeah with ficus you have to leave the wire on to hold shape. The best ficus have wire marks. They cover up with new growth. Even when they bite deeply it will heal.
At least with willow leaf. Wire bites add to the aged appearance.
At least that's my opinion. There are ficus grown with no wire ever touching the tree.
I don't want to be a clip and grow artist though.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/adamas...-ficus-microcarpa-specimen/amp/?source=images

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also didn't feel your trees were bad at all... I have all stages of growing. From in ground...to long term projects...to tree projects I am not in love with...with the intentions of selling if in five years I still am not in love with the species.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
After working on several trees and taking pics I realized that none of the trees that I have created are worthy to be called bonsai. Even the trees I have purchased from others I have not maintained well. Growth is long and leggy. Branches have not been wired.
Many trees are still good but I cannot post them as my own work. My best trees were not created by me- they are not my work.
This exercise just made me want to throw away all of them to be honest.
Very few of my trees look like "Bonsai" - most are young starter nursery stock that need time and growth. But regardless of the stage that any of them are at I just truly enjoy my trees and shrubs. I've killed some and I hate that. But I really love watching and caring for the ones that are growing and flourishing. It's just very cool to me.

So take away what you want from it. We all start at zero - so be fair with yourself about your progress and expectations.

Top Bottom