Shantung Maple

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As you can see from the pic the leaves have ugly brown tips. What causes this? I water everyday, if not I mist my trees at least twice a day. I dont have this tree in direct sunlight.Thanks, Joe

Attachments

• shantungoct162010b.jpg
    shantungoct162010b.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 227

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like mildew or a fungus...maybe it's getting too much moisture and not enough air movement?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heat scortch. Asian maples are not up to the sun in Texas in containers. Too much heat at the roots. Hot roots shut down and can't transport water to leaves.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heat scortch. Asian maples are not up to the sun in Texas in containers. Too much heat at the roots. Hot roots shut down and can't transport water to leaves.

Coming from one of the few parts of the country where Japanese maples thrive, in the ground and partricularly in the artificial confines of a bonsai pot, I would normally agree with you. But this species seems like it ought to do better based on the info below, especially if is in a nursery pot, as it seems it might be from the photo.

"Shantung Maple

"Scientific Name: Acer truncatum

"The Shantung Maple is a midsize ornamental tree that is great for small yards and it tolerates alkaline soils, drought, and strong wind. The Shantung Maple steps up to autumn with leaves that are gorgeous golden yellow flecked with red before they launch into orange. The Shantung Maple differentiates from other maples (Red Maple and Silver Maple) in that the canopy is denser and the leaves are more delicate, which is reminiscent of a Japanese maple but with much greater toughness (tolerates full sun). The Shantung Maple is designated as a Texas Superstar Tree by Texas A&M University."

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It may well be that Osmosis played a part.

One could wheel out the old Shigo chestnut and suggest compartmentalization has occured and the injury contained.

Maybe burial would offer a solution,in a tub.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just out of curiosity, do these maples make good bonsai? I bought a few seedlings last year and this seems to be a very vigorous species. I read what Brent had to say about them, but have not seen any specimens out there.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am growing one of these in the growing fields of my backyard, for 6 years now. I have high hopes for it, although it may not be the best for small bonsai. I have no idea how much the leaves and internodes will miniaturize. The leaves themselves are not too big, but I am concerned about the leaf stalks and internodes.
But we will see when it gets potted, in about 3 years.

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all the replies. I have been told that these make good(larger than shohin) bonsai. The leaves will reduce some and the internodes not as much. I am including a pic . I bought this from one of our members nursery. I do plan on removing the larger branch/growth and the smaller ones coming from the trunk.

Attachments

• shantungoct162010.jpg
    shantungoct162010.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 133
Top Bottom