Shimpaku Juniper - Branch Cutting

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
Recently got some Juniper branch cuttings, quite girthy ones from a mature tree. Would these still take with some rooting hormone and some love? Or just waist of time ? It is still summer here
Any help would be appreciated:) thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

They certainly won't root if you don't try!

I'd use a 5050 perlite peat mix.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And should I remove all foliage?
Absolutely not! Foliage is what drives rootgrowth.
Make sure you plant in a semi-shaded area, not windy and keep the plants foliage moist several times a day.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Root smaller twigs, not whole “branches”. A single branch might give you 5 or 6 cuttings. You want the stem part of the cutting to be a little thicker than a wooden toothpick.

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
Root smaller twigs, not whole “branches”. A single branch might give you 5 or 6 cuttings. You want the stem part of the cutting to be a little thicker than a wooden toothpick.
So a actually short “branch” wouldn’t root? I’ll attach a pic for example

Attachments

• 444F3349-BAA2-458C-B6F6-0535C4F75467.jpeg
    444F3349-BAA2-458C-B6F6-0535C4F75467.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 51

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well spotted!

So a actually short “branch” wouldn’t root?
pretty muvh, no, not reliably. For that size use airlayering.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can layer at any point as long as it is between healthy foliage and the roots.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Junipers are normally slow to root so you really need everything in your favour to get results.
Younger wood roots easier.
Good humidity is essential
Good propagating mix gives best results - peat/perlite mix is widely used.

I get best results with twigs 1/8-1/4" diam rather than larger branches or really thin bits but that doesn't mean a larger cutting will never grow - just less likely. You have the material now so why not try a few of all sizes and see what happens. Remember that juniper cuttings can sometimes take over a year to get roots.

Devo12

Mame
Reaction score
Junipers are normally slow to root so you really need everything in your favour to get results.
Younger wood roots easier.
Good humidity is essential
Good propagating mix gives best results - peat/perlite mix is widely used.

I get best results with twigs 1/8-1/4" diam rather than larger branches or really thin bits but that doesn't mean a larger cutting will never grow - just less likely. You have the material now so why not try a few of all sizes and see what happens. Remember that juniper cuttings can sometimes take over a year to get roots.
Thanks Shibui, yeeeh I do have a variety of sizes . And yes why not give them all a shot . Gonna have to give it a go and see :)

Top Bottom