Shipping delayed on ficus - ok?

galapogostoday

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently purchased a beautiful old/large green island ficus online and was shipped to me Monday. Didn't get here until today (Friday 7/31) for whatever reason and the UPS facility by my house was supposed to have it delivered here today, but a water main broke at the distribution facility and I was told that I won't be able to get it until Monday (no weekend deliveries and their facilities are closed).

The ficus was in a shallow pot and I'm worried that it wont survive such a long time in a box, especially sitting in a freight during the summer.

I know that ficus' are very hardy trees and hope it will be alright. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

Thanks!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope there was insurance involved. That sucks. Where is it sitting for the weekend?

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
As you've said, Ficus are pretty tough. Post some pics when you get it, and I'm sure you'll get some good advice. If it was big & healthy, I think it'll survive. Ramified branches (if it had them) may be crispy...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had one that got delayed coming across the country from California because of a snow storm. It was in a box in late November for a week and it survived. Not exactly your problem but they can be tough.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Don't you just love it when that happens? Seriously, assume you may get leaf drop. If you see green buds, you should be ok. Brown or black buds, follow Smokes advice and call the shipper and insurer. Let Brussels know as well. They probably have a corporate account and may have a little more pull with the shipper.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
UPS is truly everywhere...even in the Galapogos you get the same lousy service!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Let Brussels know as well. They probably have a corporate account and may have a little more pull with the shipper.

Mr Martin ships FedEx for what it's worth..but what can brown do for you.....best of luck for you & your tree. Logistics can be a M'fer in bonsai..

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I stand corrected(blush).

galapogostoday

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks guys that makes me feel better and is reassuring - as best as I know its sitting in a freight trailer

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It might drop leaves as it adjusts to your conditions. Don't panic if it does and don't over water if it drops leaves. I would gradually introduce it to full sun, since it's been in the dark for a while. Good luck

galapogostoday

Seedling
Reaction score
Survived the move with dignity! No burnt ends, a few leaves came off probably from handling, otherwise love at first site! very healthy after spending a week in a freight - can't wait to drop some more aerial roots on this green island ficus!

galapogostoday

Seedling
Reaction score
Can't turn it sideways for some reason sorry!
2a6r31h.jpg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Always glad to see a happy ending. Best of luck. Looks like a nice bonsai.

galapogostoday

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Ficus Guy! I'll look into that, any easy way to tell if its burtt-dabyii or Green Island? Also meant to add that there was some loose white mold growing in the most moist part of the newspaper that was wrapped around the base (probably because it was sitting in a hot freight and was still moist.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Ficus Guy! I'll look into that, any easy way to tell if its burtt-dabyii or Green Island? Also meant to add that there was some loose white mold growing in the most moist part of the newspaper that was wrapped around the base (probably because it was sitting in a hot freight and was still moist.

Leaf size is a pretty good indication. Davyii leaves are much smaller and reduce well for excellent shohin.

Top Bottom