4b
Damn! No mercy eh!?
Those roots were just weighing it down anyways. Get ready for take off! 🚀
it’s an elm.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. It has been a week. Show us the topgrowth! Is it a metre tall yet? :)

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
So.. It has been a week. Show us the topgrowth! Is it a metre tall yet? :)
Not yet, I posted some details in my previous post earlier today. It’s slowed down a bit, the bud opening has stalled a bit but more and more buds are plumbing up daily so I’m not losing hope! They are all still green and red so things are still happening. Or should I be worried?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good work. It's an Elm and should recover fine. The only thing I would have done in addition to what you did was to cut a V in the top where the 2 apical branches come from. It would have improved taper and transition at the apex. I would not advise it now as a saw would rock those new roots too much - a job for next season. 👍

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our government has taken booze (and smokes) away from us during lockdown so I haven’t had a beer since the one in my first post. It’s been a month of only wine and gin :(

Day 122 of lockdown in South Africa...
Hm.. Here Gin and Wine have alcohol.

But yeah, a few friends of mine in SA told me about the horrible side-effect of covid there. Sorry man.
Will not talk about beer again.
Let me bring my empty half litre weizenbier to the basement.

Tsssst!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Good work. It's an Elm and should recover fine. The only thing I would have done in addition to what you did was to cut a V in the top where the 2 apical branches come from. It would have improved taper and transition at the apex. I would not advise it now as a saw would rock those new roots too much - a job for next season. 👍
Yes the top is already quite swollen from where the 2 main branches bulge from the trunk. I may have to reduce that main right leader some more as I’ve left three branches coming from it (on the back side, including the main leader portion), but that will be for the future.

On another note I went for a walk around a park earlier today with my girlfriend and was surprised to find 3 big elms growing freely. I didn’t think we had any elms out in the wild in SA. They were all leafless and covered in seeds. If it wasn’t for a few dry serrated leaves left on the branches I would never have noticed them. I’ll go back in spring to have a look at them again.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was left alone at home, unattended. Not even @defra or @Wires_Guy_wires stopped by to make sure I behave.
I didn;t
I stopped by and saw what you were doing. I just decided to back up and walk away slowly. You just.. Go ahead and do your thing man! I wasn't there, I saw nothing. If the cops ask, I was at home all day.
On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know how to scramble traffic cameras?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How did you avoid my camera traps? I did not have to refill the cayenne pepper canisters!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How did you avoid my camera traps? I did not have to refill the cayenne pepper canisters!
Front door, right side of the house and in the backyard covering entrance to the sliding door? You mean those camera traps? Copy the SSID of your wifi, and just send out a stronger signal. Since all of those devices have a continuous auto-connect cycle, they disconnect and try to connect with the stronger signal for a minute or two. Pineapples are amazing.
If they were in fact wired cameras, maybe I'll have to do some data wiping.

I grew my own chocolate habaneros and I ate them. I wanted to pull my teeth out and cried myself to sleep that night. Cayenne pepper doesn't hurt me anymore. Apart from the excruciating pain, those peppers do taste like chocolate though! Chocolate that's covered in molten metal and high grade sulfuric acid, but it's there. 0/10 would recommend!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was left alone at home, unattended. Not even @defra or @Wires_Guy_wires stopped by to make sure I behave.
I didn;t
at the time i was completely wasted myself so anything i would do myself wile being drunk would have been aproved, and tbh that simply just would mean no boundry's!

Top Bottom