Shohin Cork Bark

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This small cork bark started out by ripsgreentree. It was donated to a club raffle due to how ugly it was. I did some pruning and set it aside since all the branches were cut off.

Wired it today, now it has a start. Trunk is about 1.25" across at the waist. I have no idea what is beneath the soil but I'll bet its big! (the root ball that is)
About 5 inches tall right now. Will probably finish at around sixish.

Attachments

• DSC_00030002.JPG
    DSC_00030002.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_00040003.JPG
    DSC_00040003.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 297

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a very elegant shape to the trunk. I think the challenge will be in keeping the branches in correct proportion ot the trunk.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice tree Al. I would say thats a small elm.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree is beautiful. I hate to call it cute, so I'll avoid it ;) But this is a very nice tree. Do you have any ''before'' shots?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is beautiful. I hate to call it cute, so I'll avoid it ;) But this is a very nice tree. Do you have any ''before'' shots?

I don't have a before before shot, but I did find one after I cut it back. I have painted on the branching and foliage sort of like it was before I pruned it back hard. The crown was about 20 inches around. the branches off the trunk were horrible, and it looked like raffle material.

I got one of the first tickets pulled from the hat and I picked this up. Everyone laughed at me for taking the crap tree.

Another year or two and this will be a keeper.

That very tiny little green thing coming out of that branch stub on the right is what made the first branch.

90 days....not bad.

Al

Attachments

• painted.jpg
    painted.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_00050001.JPG
    DSC_00050001.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_00030002.JPG
    DSC_00030002.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 188

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one of the first tickets pulled from the hat and I picked this up. Everyone laughed at me for taking the crap tree.

Hi Al, nice tree. You were probably laughed at because people tend to look at the material as a whole, rather than the first few inches off the base like they should, as most of the branches and the trunk usually end up being removed anyway. I know that it's taken me a bit of time to figure this out myself (and am still working on it), but hopefully others seeing what you've accomplished with a "crap tree" will get a better understanding of how to select material.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You wouldn't happen to still have this tree would you Al?
I don't have many trees that are smaller but I think I'll start a few in this direction next year.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You wouldn't happen to still have this tree would you Al?
I don't have many trees that are smaller but I think I'll start a few in this direction next year.
This baby hit the scrap pile. It was a great tree, taken from the top of a larger tree. I won this in a club raffle and had it for a year or so. On death I inspected and it had a few roots but nothing to speak of. I suspect not enough to keep it strong. Too bad it was a great little trunk. This was a ripsgreentree raffle offering which came from Muranaka. I have no idea who did the layer, Glenn has many cork barks. I have the "Godzilla" of cork barks to prune soon. Time to actually work on it.

DSC_00840084.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's too bad. It was a very cool little tree.
I also thought it was also a good example of the hogarth curve you brought up earlier. And that it also came from the same place as the maple you posted in the $59.00 thread.
Correct?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This baby hit the scrap pile. It was a great tree, taken from the top of a larger tree. I won this in a club raffle and had it for a year or so. On death I inspected and it had a few roots but nothing to speak of. I suspect not enough to keep it strong. Too bad it was a great little trunk. This was a ripsgreentree raffle offering which came from Muranaka. I have no idea who did the layer, Glenn has many cork barks. I have the "Godzilla" of cork barks to prune soon. Time to actually work on it.

View attachment 88373

Wrong thread!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It even kind of looks like Godzilla. I think it's the bark.
Man,its a fat monster! And if it weren't for the stubs I'd think you had a German shepherd style it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's too bad. It was a very cool little tree.
I also thought it was also a good example of the hogarth curve you brought up earlier. And that it also came from the same place as the maple you posted in the $59.00 thread.
Correct?
Yes but I don't know which part. The small tree or the big tree that Glenn may have layered it off of.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It even kind of looks like Godzilla. I think it's the bark.
Man,its a fat monster! And if it weren't for the stubs I'd think you had a German shepherd style it.
Its never had any work done to it. Its just the way I dug it out of the ground. Except for the branches I sawed off.

DSC_00820082.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some wicked bark.
Do you know the age?

Top Bottom