Shohin juniper reclamation

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw this tree for sale back in the fall. I'd seen similar quality trees for sale that I'd wanted but hesitated on pulling the trigger just long enough that by the time I decided to make them mine, ...they'd been sold. I didn't hesitate too long on this one and managed to bring it home. As you can see from the before picture, it had been handled well at some point, but was allowed to outgrow its design for a couple of years. It sat on my bench for several months, awaiting initiative to actually get started wiring.

The third picture shows about an hour and a half's work. I ended up doing more than I expected to get finished in that sitting, ...but it was slow going. I'm always surprised at how complicated things get when working on shohin with any development.

You can really see how overgrown it was as I begin to lay the branches down. Lots of legginess but some good budding that needs to be strengthened. Having the branches horizontal (or below) along with splayed out to receive the most light should strengthen those buds. I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut back to them this fall, but that's the eventual plan.

The last picture I took was past midnight one night this weekend. I've reduced a bit more of the foliage tufts at the end of the branches and flattened them some more, but you get the idea. It looks a mess, but its just one stage in the plan.

I'll try to keep this updated as it progresses.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 157
  • firstbranch.jpg
    firstbranch.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 145
  • bottom branches.jpg
    bottom branches.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 124
  • middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 132
  • finished-forNow.jpg
    finished-forNow.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 133
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 137

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another note: I ran out of appropriate sized wire about the time I took the "middle" picture. I had 14ga and 20, but was VERY short on 16 & 18. I made do as best I could. As I was cleaning up and putting things away, I found the rolls of 16 & 18 I thought I'd had. Isn't that how it always goes?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Laying them out like that will promote back budding. Also, I'm more careful now about removing crotch growth- I cut back to strong crotch growth on leggy branches. Everyone always advocates removing crotch growth, but it's not always advantageous to the development of the tree. It's always good to have options.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Laying them out like that will promote back budding. Also, I'm more careful now about removing crotch growth- I cut back to strong crotch growth on leggy branches. Everyone always advocates removing crotch growth, but it's not always advantageous to the development of the tree. It's always good to have options.
I'm uncomfortable with the amount of crotch growth in this thread. :oops:🤣

Nice tree! @bwaynef

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw this tree for sale back in the fall. I'd seen similar quality trees for sale that I'd wanted but hesitated on pulling the trigger just long enough that by the time I decided to make them mine, ...they'd been sold. I didn't hesitate too long on this one and managed to bring it home. As you can see from the before picture, it had been handled well at some point, but was allowed to outgrow its design for a couple of years. It sat on my bench for several months, awaiting initiative to actually get started wiring.

The third picture shows about an hour and a half's work. I ended up doing more than I expected to get finished in that sitting, ...but it was slow going. I'm always surprised at how complicated things get when working on shohin with any development.

You can really see how overgrown it was as I begin to lay the branches down. Lots of legginess but some good budding that needs to be strengthened. Having the branches horizontal (or below) along with splayed out to receive the most light should strengthen those buds. I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut back to them this fall, but that's the eventual plan.

The last picture I took was past midnight one night this weekend. I've reduced a bit more of the foliage tufts at the end of the branches and flattened them some more, but you get the idea. It looks a mess, but its just one stage in the plan.

I'll try to keep this updated as it progresses.
Universal truth, it always takes longer than planned and most " lost" items show up after they are needed. Nice beginning for the next stages. Now to wait for extensions! That will determine the plan for the fall.
Nicely done, you kept lots of foliage, yet thinned appropriately! Looking forward to the progression.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve fought with this tree all year. It’s put on a little growth at the ends of existing branches though it does have extensive crotch growth and limited backbudding. The issue I’ve fought is that it DOES NOT DRAIN. I’ve done “soji” and removed the upper level of soil. I’ve treated with a surfactant. I’ve jammed copper wire to create holes. I’ve jammed it from the bottom. All for very little change.

I should have repotted it this spring. I can’t decide if I should repot into a slightly larger pot or not. I expect it will really take off next spring with fresh soil and maybe a little extra room.

Also, it seems to be enjoying its recent move to a full-sun location. (Though I’ll admit it worries me keeping it watered where it is, in its current condition.)

Attachments

• 342E69EE-8CE7-458E-A6A7-44EBCA673D1A.jpeg
    342E69EE-8CE7-458E-A6A7-44EBCA673D1A.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 63

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve fought with this tree all year. It’s put on a little growth at the ends of existing branches though it does have extensive crotch growth and limited backbudding. The issue I’ve fought is that it DOES NOT DRAIN. I’ve done “soji” and removed the upper level of soil. I’ve treated with a surfactant. I’ve jammed copper wire to create holes. I’ve jammed it from the bottom. All for very little change.

I should have repotted it this spring. I can’t decide if I should repot into a slightly larger pot or not. I expect it will really take off next spring with fresh soil and maybe a little extra room.

Also, it seems to be enjoying its recent move to a full-sun location. (Though I’ll admit it worries me keeping it watered where it is, in its current condition.)
I think once you repot it will drain a lot better. Since we are moving into the fall and winter watering should not be a problem. My junipers get 6-8 hours of full sun here in Georgia and they love it. I sometimes have to water twice a day but the growth is worth it.

Top Bottom