Shohin Olive

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The olive is starting to push a little growth. This autumn has been unusually warm, that could be the reason. Should I still let it get some weather in the 40's whenever that finally comes or should I go ahead and encourage the growth?

Reactions: Vin

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The olive is starting to push a little growth. This autumn has been unusually warm, that could be the reason. Should I still let it get some weather in the 40's whenever that finally comes or should I go ahead and encourage the growth?
Mines already in my greenhouse but it's been getting Temps in the 40's for about a month and it's growth has only gotten faster lol I'll heat the greenhouse when we are forecasted to get into the 30s.

Aaron

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Finished up the first phase.

View attachment 120937

Also, when I said I have knob cutters, I forgot this happened recently...

View attachment 120938

I tried to bite off more than it could chew.. I'll replace them soon. Probably with the same ones. I really like the people at AB.

I almost bought a complete set of those.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine grows all winter long, I get mine into a warm sunny spot inside before it gets in the 40's so it just keeps going. Where are you going to store it this winter?

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine grows all winter long, I get mine into a warm sunny spot inside before it gets in the 40's so it just keeps going. Where are you going to store it this winter?

I've been considering keeping it in my office, it's like a storefront, all glass with lots of sun. Would that be okay? Or is it going to be too dry?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been considering keeping it in my office, it's like a storefront, all glass with lots of sun. Would that be okay? Or is it going to be too dry?
They like dry I'm my experience and I'm in the high desert southwest lol
Sounds like a great place for it!

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would just caution you that windows can sometimes be drafty, and colder than you think if you put it on a sill. I use a seedling heat mat under mine. That way it keeps the roots slightly warmer than ambient room temps.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just caution you that windows can sometimes be drafty, and colder than you think if you put it on a sill. I use a seedling heat mat under mine. That way it keeps the roots slightly warmer than ambient room temps.

These are big commercial windows that don't open, so the draft shouldn't be an issue, but I can bring a heat mat in there and watch the temps just in case. How warm do you keep the mat?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since it's a seedling mat, not a propagation mat, it only stays above ambient temps by a few degrees. There isn't an external thermostat for those. (propagation mats do use externals, but are much more expensive) I think the combo of the sun and bottom heat is why I get winter growth.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since it's a seedling mat, not a propagation mat, it only stays above ambient temps by a few degrees. There isn't an external thermostat for those. (propagation mats do use externals, but are much more expensive) I think the combo of the sun and bottom heat is why I get winter growth.

Gotcha. The one I have has a temp controller and keeps it 10-20 above ambient temps. I just ordered it last month so I haven't gotten to use it yet.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The day before I moved it to the sunny window, something knocked it off my bench (probably a freaking squirrel) and it crashed into one of my Chinese elms on the lower tier. Fortunately, I just lost a little soil and one branch tip. The elm is fine too. Now it's been in the window spot for almost a week and buds are swelling all over so I think it's healthy.

Question: How long do olives generally take to set wired branches? Do you let it bite in a little?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Question: How long do olives generally take to set wired branches? Do you let it bite in a little?
My olive sets it's twiggy branches on place after about 3 weeks, larger branches Can take a little while but it depends on vigour. I generally let my wire slightly bite into all of my trees so that I know it's set in place.

Aaron

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My olive sets it's twiggy branches on place after about 3 weeks, larger branches Can take a little while but it depends on vigour. I generally let my wire slightly bite into all of my trees so that I know it's set in place.

Aaron

Awesome, thanks! Man, I really wish I had a teacher around here.. Oh well, B-Nut will have to suffice! Lol

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome, thanks! Man, I really wish I had a teacher around here.. Oh well, B-Nut will have to suffice! Lol
I'm lucky to have a teacher, but new Mexico is like a wasteland to find any material for bonsai, your lucky to be closeish to @Stickroot . I'd love to go and see a couple of the nurseries up there.

Aaron

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right now I'm using dyna-gro 9-3-6 but normally just miracle gro, or Peters 20-20-20. Basically any all purpose liquid fert I have on hand lol

Aaron

Awesome. Pretty sure I have some all purpose liquid miracle gro somewhere.

Top Bottom