Should I wait till end of summer to trim Jack Pine?

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
This tree is 1 year old this weekend. Should I wait till end of summer to cut it shorter? Its about 7” long. There is about 1/2 a cubic foot of soil inder the wood base. I cut bottom of pot away. Just wanted it to look like its in the smallest pot.

Attachments

• D6D4B86F-D24A-42B4-8FA5-28AD92C0BCA3.jpeg
    D6D4B86F-D24A-42B4-8FA5-28AD92C0BCA3.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 103
  • F92FFEE5-1321-43BC-952D-5FD54B670C29.jpeg
    F92FFEE5-1321-43BC-952D-5FD54B670C29.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 99

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not a jack pine.
Cant tell for sure from the thumbnail pictures but it looks like it is eastern red cedar.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Agree with M. Frary...not Jack pine by a long shot.

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Well damn, my wife gave me one of those tiny Bonsai kits Chritmas 2017 and this is the tree that popped up. It said Jack Pine but I see now it looks like a red spruce.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If someone showed me that tree an insisted it was a spruce seedling I'd believe them. But If I saw it no info given I would instantly ID as ERC or "Juniperus virginiana". It's an extremely common tree in the East. To be fair, every juniper looks about identical when it's that young but I would say it's juniper before calling it picea. Why do you think it's red spruce over any other? Was the seed germinated outdoors?

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Ever seen Eastern Red Cedar?
No Ill look those up. The cedar here in Utah are probably way differant. Knowing it was one of those cheep bonsai kits from China it could be anything

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
If someone showed me that tree an insisted it was a spruce seedling I'd believe them. But If I saw it no info given I would instantly ID as ERC or "Juniperus virginiana". It's an extremely common tree in the East. To be fair, every juniper looks about identical when it's that young but I would say it's juniper before calling it picea. Why do you think it's red spruce over any other? Was the seed germinated outdoors?
It just came in a tiny Bonsai kit my wife gave me. Ill have to dig into pictures. eastern red cedar. Ill look those up thanks for the help folks.

Reactions: GGB

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's a God Damn Foemina!

Sorce
Oh how the fucking hell do you goddam know?
Are you a sonofabitching shit-don't-stink hell damn Tourette's fucking diseased EXPERT ? :p

Top Bottom