sierra juniper with Ryan Neil

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
I had posted this juniper, that we had worked on in Sept 2011, but couldn't track it down in prior posts. I wanted to update it after it was re potted this past March. The first 3 pictures are of the tree being worked on last Sept, and the last one is after the tree was potted in March. When we went to repot it, I realized that the tree had grown around a rock and had a large hallow area under the base with long roots that grew around the rock. We weren't able to repot it in the vertical postion, in which it was styled, inside the styrafoam box. We planted it on an angle, as the last picture shows, and the branches had to be readjusted to accommodate the new angle. I like it and think that it makes for a much more interesting tree. It is a short, squatty, powerful tree. The nebari is 11", and it is about 24" tall

Attachments

• P1010259-1.jpg
    P1010259-1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010260-1.jpg
    P1010260-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010272-1.jpg
    P1010272-1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P1010348-1.jpg
    P1010348-1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 132

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, really powerful, well done. Is that the final pot for this tree ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A truly grand and worthy tree... Are you planning on having Ryan design deadwood into the tree? There's so much weight in that trunk, that I think breaking it up with some deadwood would be a great improvement on it in time.

Thanks for sharing!

Victrinia

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I like both planting angles, but the new one definitely gives it more interest for sure. Awesome tree, as always.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
It was awesome before, and even more so now with the slant and the resulting nebari!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A truly grand and worthy tree... Are you planning on having Ryan design deadwood into the tree? There's so much weight in that trunk, that I think breaking it up with some deadwood would be a great improvement on it in time.

Thanks for sharing!

Victrinia

totally agree (who woulda thought) ...... looks great..... but needs more deadwood...

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I remember those last posts and it looks great in its pot. Love the new planting angle, well done.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was able to see him work this last weekend and it was awesome.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that really is turning out nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom