Signed up for my 1st workshop with Bjorn!

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree. You guys will have fun with that one, he’s really getting into the big RMJs...wait till you see some of his photos. He was at my house last weekend and we had a great time working on trees.

My son did his level best to stay awake for Bjorn’s arrival, but he crashed on the couch and didn’t get to see him until Saturday morning. He had a buddy over who was only impressed when he learned Bjorn was a YouTuber with 40,000 subscribers! Kids.
View attachment 171128 View attachment 171129 View attachment 171130
View attachment 171131 View attachment 171132 View attachment 171133

Would you recommend wiring the tree before the workshops?

I want him to place all the pads/Apex and prune.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Would you recommend wiring the tree before the workshops?

I want him to place all the pads/Apex and prune.
That’s what I did with my little JBP; I spent several days pulling needles, pruning, and wiring it so I could take it from my best, to my best with Bjorn. It’s the only time anyone beside me has worked on that tree since is first styling in 2007.

If you want to get a jump on it, I’d suggest you clean out the crotch growth, balance the tufts of growth (make every shoot the same size), and wire every branch out to the tufts of foliage. Then let him help with planting angle and front, then set all branches. Keep in mind, you’ll want some heavy wire on branches for use as anchor points for guy-wires.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
That’s what I did with my little JBP; I spent several days pulling needles, pruning, and wiring it so I could take it from my best, to my best with Bjorn. It’s the only time anyone beside me has worked on that tree since is first styling in 2007.

If you want to get a jump on it, I’d suggest you clean out the crotch growth, balance the tufts of growth (make every shoot the same size), and wire every branch out to the tufts of foliage. Then let him help with planting angle and front, then set all branches. Keep in mind, you’ll want some heavy wire on branches for use as anchor points for guy-wires.
Thank you for the advice

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
@choppychoppy

Did you wire out your trees before he was at your garden?

We worked on several trees - he was here for a few days. We did 4 or 5 pieces of raw-ish material that had been growing about a year untouched specifically for him to mess with and he wired them all out, but again i had him for lots of time for him to do those. Then he went thru and gave advice on lots of my stuff (I got like 300 trees lol). He did a workshop for our club the third day.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
We worked on several trees - he was here for a few days. We did 4 or 5 pieces of raw-ish material that had been growing about a year untouched specifically for him to mess with and he wired them all out, but again i had him for lots of time for him to do those. Then he went thru and gave advice on lots of my stuff (I got like 300 trees lol). He did a workshop for our club the third day.
Excellent!

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
... He was at my house last weekend and we had a great time working on trees.

My son did his level best to stay awake for Bjorn’s arrival, but he crashed on the couch and didn’t get to see him until Saturday morning. He had a buddy over who was only impressed when he learned Bjorn was a YouTuber with 40,000 subscribers! Kids.
Fabulous. I love this from all sorts of angles.
Jim

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree! Unless great wirer Bjorn may be redoing it if you do first. Really Great tree:D.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Damn Hector I'm jealous. You have a lot of great raw material and after all these workshops they'll be crackin trees. Looking forward to see after pics.

Reaction score
Talking about nice material... I would clean it a bit before workshop. Do the startup at the workshop and work through the night to get the wiring done for the next day. Don't forget to sleep a little. Have fun.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Talking about nice material... I would clean it a bit before workshop. Do the startup at the workshop and work through the night to get the wiring done for the next day. Don't forget to sleep a little. Have fun.
I did the wire out all night with Mauro this past October, and this has brought me the the conclusion that I should clean and wire ahead of the workshop.

I was exhausted by the end of the first night, but I did have Mauro to guide and check my wiring non stop.

Before
FB_IMG_1512846711718.jpg

After
received_10156113286199410.jpeg

Reaction score
It depends, some styling on raw material is best done without wire around it. How good is your wiring? For the primary branches it is important they are adequately wired from the first time. Don't mess with good material. the example above has its structure set and wiring beforehand might be a good option.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
It depends, some styling on raw material is best done without wire around it. How good is your wiring? For the primary branches it is important they are adequately wired from the first time. Don't mess with good material. the example above has its structure set and wiring beforehand might be a good option.

I'm sorry I miss understood.

My wiring is fair to good, not elite. I've only learned wiring from Mauro Stemberger & Peter Tea.

Reaction score
The material for the workshop is world-class. First the primary branches will be set with heavy wire and guy wires, and after that you will wire. In advance you can clean the trunk, the Deadwood and the dead foliage. Bring some wooden blocks and an iron bar. Think what options you would take trying to use all mayor branches. Be prepared for the fun. Looking forward for the results.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
The material for the workshop is world-class. First the primary branches will be set with heavy wire and guy wires, and after that you will wire. In advance you can clean the trunk, the Deadwood and the dead foliage. Bring some wooden blocks and an iron bar. Think what options you would take trying to use all mayor branches. Be prepared for the fun. Looking forward for the results.
Thank you. I will take this into consideration.

Top Bottom