Slowing down a Satsuki's flowering after it has started?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, I've been planning on showing a very large Eikan satsuki azalea in a show in a month. Because of the very mild winter and early spring, this tree has been actively growing for almost 2 months. Yesterday, I noticed several flower buds have started to swell. Is there anything that can be done horticulturally to slowing things down? I've considered moving it into full shade (not an easy task due to the tree's size and the limitations of my yard, but possble). I'm wondering if flower bud removal as they swell would help or accelerate the inevitable. I'm resigned to the fact that the tree will be way past full bloom, but I'm hoping to have some flowers left in 5 weeks. Any suggestions?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've moved mine to shade, sitting on the ground to keep roots cool. You can also remove some of the early blooms to help time the peak, but I don't think that slows down the others...just ensures all that bloom are kind of opening at the same time...sounds like you need to buy yourself about 2.5 weeks?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, maybe 3 weeks...the atlanta Bonsai Society annual show is on 5/19-5/20. By the way, it's a pretty good show, I think, and Ryan Neil will be in attendance...might be worth the drive from Birmingham. Thanks for the tips, Brian.

Dave

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I agree with the cool and shade, I have most of my stuff actively growing for several weeks now Dave, been a great winter up here if you don't like winters. Things that were left in the cold frame or shed longer are just really getting going. Shade and cool.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Bill. It's in the shade now, not on the ground but on an upturned heavy plastic pot. If it went on the ground, the dogs would probably pee on it or damage it in other ways, AND I honestly don't think I could lift it up again...time to start resistance training again:(.

ps There is always a silver lining to stories like this...I will be posting pics of the tree in full bloom shortly!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, maybe 3 weeks...the atlanta Bonsai Society annual show is on 5/19-5/20. By the way, it's a pretty good show, I think, and Ryan Neil will be in attendance...might be worth the drive from Birmingham. Thanks for the tips, Brian.

Dave

Thanks, tempting, but I think the Bham show is the same weekend...be sure to take photos!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, we've had a nice cool down...high temps only around 60F for the next few days then mid 70's, which is normal, for a bit. No more buds are swelling at the moment...fingers crossed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, 18 days to go, highs have been and will continue to be in the mid to high 80's for the foreseeable future, and both my central AC units are in need of replacement...hmmm

Attachments

• DSCF1114.1.jpg
    DSCF1114.1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 61

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well Dave theres always next year, hehe you never heard that one before have you, you ol New Englander you.

Is this the only color configuration you get, I have one from NEBGs and it has had five distinct color paterns.

Fix the one for the bedroom first, that sucks.

Wait, no whole tree pic, you holding out on us?:)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well Dave theres always next year, hehe you never heard that one before have you, you ol New Englander you.

Is this the only color configuration you get, I have one from NEBGs and it has had five distinct color paterns.

Fix the one for the bedroom first, that sucks.

Wait, no whole tree pic, you holding out on us?:)
I thought the Red Sox were playing better ball over the last week or 2;)? Anyway, yeah, this tree has 3 or 4 patterns...there are about 15 flowers popping right now and they are all white except this one. Full pic to follow when the tree is completely covered in blooms, most likely within a week...ggrrrrrr. Finally, got the first quote to replace both systems...$8140.00, actually less then I thought it would be (gulp!!).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In japan they would have put the tree into a box with ice to slow it down.... V

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In japan they would have put the tree into a box with ice to slow it down.... V
I might have considered that for a week, assuming I could find a box big enough which is doubtful considering how tall and wide it is. And now that the AC issue has reared its ugly head, I'm keeping all the ice to myself:p.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Gonna need a couple of drinks to write the check eh?

I have the tag from the nursery, I'll get the specific name for mine, but very similar, had all white as well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually went fo the high bid on the ACs...real high efficiency models...salesman said I'd make back my money in a few years with my utility cost savings:p

12 days to go...

Attachments

• DSCF1117.1.jpg
    DSCF1117.1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's looking good Dave, will be a show stopper in full bloom.

Feel your pain on the AC. Our downstairs unit has sucked for 2 years, and the upstairs one froze trying to keep up. Replaced the downstairs one a couple weeks ago and the upstairs has been fine since. Still don't know where the builder managed to find a 5-year unit. Maybe next to the 5-year exterior paint...one aisle over from the 2-year dishwashers and garage doors. But I digress...back to bonsai!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dave if nothing else keep it high and dry(the flowers that is), I have one that I have brought in and out to keep the rain drops off it and the flowers have really held up, they have been out now about 2 weeks plus I think.
Looking good.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What a difference a year makes. Last year, I was contemplating hari kari due to the dread of the needed replacement of my AC units, AND the fact this tree was blooming too soon (it didn't make the show because of it). NOW, I'm wondering if the tree will be blooming AT ALL by show time, which is in 2 weeks. The flower buds aren't moving, high temps have only been in the 60's and due to get colder or stay the same for the next week. We're only supposed to be in the 50's for highs this weekend...20 degrees below normal for this time of year. Aaarrgggh! FWIW, the trees going in the show this year whether it's blooming or not...

By the way, the new AC units work great!

Attachments

• DSCF1525.jpg
    DSCF1525.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice! Hope it wakes up and puts on a show in time for the show!

Top Bottom