small beauty

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very lovely Judy! So no longer in the cold greenhouse. Do you leave any in there under lights when they wake? My Chinese Quince is budding out. Was thinking of just offering lights. And maybe keep at 35F instead of 30F.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very lovely Judy! So no longer in the cold greenhouse. Do you leave any in there under lights when they wake? My Chinese Quince is budding out. Was thinking of just offering lights. And maybe keep at 35F instead of 30F.
I don't leave the Chojubai in there after they start. The C. Quince is far tougher. I leave it out and don't turn lights on till it really starts leafing. Budding it's in the dark like everyone else. I have a few starting up it's going to be a struggle this year. Above 40 8 days in a row this upcoming week. Goodbye dormancy...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't leave the Chojubai in there after they start. The C. Quince is far tougher. I leave it out and don't turn lights on till it really starts leafing. Budding it's in the dark like everyone else. I have a few starting up it's going to be a struggle this year. Above 40 8 days in a row this upcoming week. Goodbye dormancy...
Thanks Judy...yes, this winter has been nuts! Thanks, brought my Florida Forsythia indoors. After seeing sulking bloom and a lot of yellow tips swelling. But won't worry on the Chinese quince from your guidance. Noticed my Crabapple starting to swell too. It's nuts...shaking head at this winter.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The chojubai had to come in as they were seriously pushing leaves and one is flowering. The green pot one, has never flowered for me yet, but it looks to be regaining some health. It's pretty old, and was very potbound when I got it. So maybe next year.View attachment 226814View attachment 226815View attachment 226816View attachment 226817View attachment 226818
Really nice!
Vietnamese has this quote “ Small but strong!” ?
Thụ Thoại

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The goji berry was starting to grow strongly so I did the repot on it yesterday and a cutback. If you want these to bloom you must cut back hard in late winter. I've finally learned the trick to making these happy. Put them in a small pot for the growing season and repot them to a larger pot for fall and winter. They get the root growth then that they need, but you get to see them during the growing season in the pot that it looks good in. This is an Emei pot, I was planning on this for the beauty berry, but I think the painted pot the goji was in last year is a better size for it, and this is a better fit for the goji berry too. The painted is just sitting in front, have not repotted the beauty berry yet, so the pot may seem a bit too large in this perspective.
IMG_1181.jpgIMG_1182.jpgIMG_1184.jpgIMG_1185.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The beautyberry would look great in that Gekkou! The pot is a little large, but eh...
Actually it's the Perfect size. It just looks larger than it does as the tree is sitting behind the Gekkou and the perspective is messing with the ratio of tree to pot. I think it's going to be good.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautyberry in the Gekkou, I know I posted this in the It's spring thread, but want to keep a record here too.
A little more upright, we had do so a skewer bend of the roots so it's a bit more mounded than I'd like but not too shabby.. Going to do something about that one center branch that goes both ways in a minute....IMG_1267.jpg

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That stand is awesome too. Just a beautiful combination.

Top Bottom