Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the D trees, Buddamonk.

I thought it was an orange of some sort. Kumquat is close :D

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
What does this tag mean? Is that the price?

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 84

Charles M

Seedling
Reaction score
The one with the orange fruit is not a pyracantha. It is a Calamondin -- what my Filipino wife calls a Kalamansi. I showed her the photo and she confirmed the I.D. We have one in the yard, but ours has leaves and fruit a little larger than that one. Looking at that one, I think pretty soon we are going to have two of them in the yard -- one so my wife can flavor her chicken and fish with the fruit, and one that is facing a future trunk chop.

Last edited:

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Charles,
The Bonsai in the Japanese photo is Fortunella Hindsii, common name Hong Kong Kumquat. This variety is commonly used for Bonsai in Japan. The leaves are quite narrow and look similar to pyracantha.

I believe that what you are referring to is a related but different species. The leaves on calamondin appear much rounder and the fruit a little larger and different.

Mark

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
As I noted in another thread, the symbol after the 20 means "x 10,000 yen'. So, it is 200,000 yen or approx. 2418.54 US
John

Thanks John, for that quick answer. And a big thank you to Buddhamonk too, for this awesome thread. I keep reading this thread and drooling every time. Some of the trees seem very cheap to me, or am I still confused?!? How much are these 2 trees? Their price tags are written differently. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• cheap bonsai!.jpg
    cheap bonsai!.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 50
  • cheap pine !.jpg
    cheap pine !.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
I can't read the first one on my screen. The second one is 230,000 yen (this could have also been written as 23 followed by the symbol for 'x 10,000 yen'). 230,000 yen is roughly $2770.
Way back when 100 yen was roughly $1. Then all you had to do was remove 2 zeros from the yen amount and that would be your dollar amount! Now a conversion has to be done - 100 yen is roughly $1.21 ($1 is about 83 yen). You can go to any online conversion site and get the amount either way.
john

Top Bottom