So Cal/Central Cal Azaleas-Yamano Hikari, Kazan, Eikan and Takasago

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Mariners settled on the right whale and paid no heed to the academic jabberings of Linnaeus.

I actually get his post this time and allusion. It was called the right whale because Whaleboat captains called it the right whale to hunt. Easy pickings...(I am sorry to the original poster about not answering question about places to source the material...)

Just for your kicks...pulled this from the Wikipedia Japan site, and double checked an online dictionary. Satsuki, may mean the 5th lunar month, but I am not sure the characters used for the Azalea are the same. Additionally, in the display book I read they used the characters referenced here when speaking aobut Satsuki Azalea杜鵑花, which also does not mean the Fifth month...I may be wrong and without doing a complete Etymology, could not say for sure.

五月; 皐月 【さつき】 (n) (1) (obs) fifth month of the lunar calendar; (2) (uk) (also written as 杜鵑花) satsuki azalea (Rhododendron indicum) [Edit][jeKai][L][G][GI][A][W] [JW]

サツキ 出典: フリー百科事典『ウィキペディア(Wikipedia)』
移動: 案内, 検索 この項目では、ツツジ科の植物について記述しています。"さつき"、"サツキ"、"皐月"のその他の用法については「サツキ (曖昧さ回避)」をご覧ください。

サツキ

分類
界 : 植物界 Plantae
門 : 被子植物門 Magnoliophyta
綱 : 双子葉植物綱 Magnoliopsida
亜綱 : ビワモドキ亜綱 Dilleniidae
目 : ツツジ目 Ericales
科 : ツツジ科 Ericaceae
属 : ツツジ属 Rhododendron
種 : サツキ R. indicum

学名
Rhododendron indicum
和名
サツキ

開花時期のサツキ(園芸品種)の木と花
自生品の開花(和歌山県田辺市・渓流沿い)サツキ(皐月、学名 Rhododendron indicum)はツツジ科の植物で、山奥の岩肌などに自生する。盆栽などで親しまれている。サツキツツジ(皐月躑躅)などとも呼ばれており、他のツツジに比べ一ヶ月程度遅い、旧暦の五月(皐月)の頃に一斉に咲き揃うところからその名が付いたと言われる。

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the long winded yet super informative post without points.

About Kotobuki. You can spin it anyway you want, but you can't take the Pinus Thunbergii out of the name. It is Pinus thunbergii"Kotobuki"

I know nothing about Brussel Sprouts, and found this anolgy quite amusing.

I just cracked a cold beer, tell me about sweet peas now.......

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
This forum is really the most crazy bonsai forum online. TRUE. "Bonsai people have more attitude than gamers, hackers, 4chan people, or any other place online it seems.
Not so, Harunobu..it's just this forum.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Assholes, Smoke you are a dimwitted close of forum bigot Greer and you seem to believe you have the exact same acute life-threatening allergy for not being wrong.

With politics, science or economics no harm is done. But people here have expensive bonsai and they may take your advince.

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do those you all grow have a botanical name....and that would be?

And you call it satsuki why?

I don't know the specific botanical names since the people we got them from aren't even sure on the exact common names...

HOWEVER they are all R. I. that much I know .... however I don't much care either way...

and ur using akadama? really??? why not Kanuma?? how do you get them the acidic soil conditions they prefer? we just use akadama as a top dressing since kanuma is fuggly

@Harunobu -- I appreciate you sharing ...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know the specific botanical names since the people we got them from aren't even sure on the exact common names...

HOWEVER they are all R. I. that much I know .... however I don't much care either way...

and ur using akadama? really??? why not Kanuma?? how do you get them the acidic soil conditions they prefer? we just use akadama as a top dressing since kanuma is fuggly

@Harunobu -- I appreciate you sharing ...

Gotta read all the words. Akadama was an answer to the question about not having burnt leaves on my tridents with summer evenings still 103 at 2AM.

I don't have any bonsai with flowers.

Pyracantha's get some blooms but I usually cut them off by fall.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Actually I don't much care either. I don't really get too hung up on botanical names or common names. I just enjoy the plant for what it is.

But....it seems that some people do.

and if they do.... and wish to post information about liniage about species, then lets get it right. Thats all I'm sayin.

I know exactly what Mr H from Belgium is saying. He is sayin that due to hybridising Satsuki's are so far from old school R. Indicums that they bare little resemblance to their former cousins. While that may be true, true Satsuki is R. Indicum and then the hybridize name, such is the case with Kotobuki.

As far as Sir Robert I already know it is Azalea Japonica and an evergreen, not a real satsuki anyway. Hopefully H will remember he is on the main forum and will refrain from words only suitable for the Karaoki Bar and actually answer my question. I've made my point anyway so his refusal to answer is OK by me.

Cheers

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gotta read all the words. Akadama was an answer to the question about not having burnt leaves on my tridents with summer evenings still 103 at 2AM.
D'oh ..... I musta been in shock to see the word akadama in an azalea thread :p .... (103 at 2AM ???? ... wtf is wrong with you people!!!! )

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
D'oh ..... I musta been in shock to see the word akadama in an azalea thread :p .... (103 at 2AM ???? ... wtf is wrong with you people!!!! )

( 59 inches of rain...wtf is wrong with you people!!!!!)

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Azalea japonica is a meaningless term. It is only used in Belgium, where I don't live, to refer to non-greenhouse forced azalea. (note: partial joke since I noticed you can't tell jokes from facts because you are so out of touch with facts) And those are usually kurume/kirishima/kaempferi/kiusianum derived hybrids. First of all, on the face 'Sir Robert' looks like a satsuki. It looks like the wavy flowering round leaved types. It has the shibori and the sports. Secondly, the parentage comes down to 87.5% satsuki genes. That's a lot more than some satsuki in Japanese satsuki dictionaries. And those 12.5% come from 'Malveticum'. Well, those genes were either selected against and are no longer present because selecting the hybrids skewers the genes deliberately. Or they are completely recessive. I would actually guess it is mostly the first case and genetic analysis will find much less than the expected 12.5% of the genes contributed by the 12.5% kurume type azalea it has as a great-grandparent.

Let me ask it this way. What looks more like 'Kaho', to us an archtype satsuki?

This one?
DSCN3472.jpg

15854_flower.jpg

987545DA8FB752F24341C984906A6182.jpg

Or this one?
85964064cWOernA3HoshinokagayakimHOS_005A.jpg

Guess which one is the Robin Hill hybrid and which one the satuski hybrid? That you think 'Sir Robert' can't be a satsuki because it is western proves exactly my explanation about use of the terms in Japan and in the west.
Also, guess which ones flowers earlier.

About akadama vs kanuma soil. Kanuma soil in Japan is always used for potted plants. When plants are grown in field, I am not sure what they are in. Ill ask next time. But I know one nursery owner believes that kanuma soil is good for branch development and akadama is better for fattening the trunk. Not sure if this is just his opinion or consensus and not sure if they use something else with the akadama to lower ph. I would guess they do. It's not in the ideal range hard ph numbers-wise.
Azalea like a moist rootball, but in Japan 100% kanuma soil substrate is often ideal because it prevents root rot during the insane rains seen in some rainy seasons which happen at the peak of summer.
But outside of Japan, depending on the climate, pure kanuma can cause problems by drying out too fast during peak summer. Especially true in climates with low humidity during these very hot sunny days. That's basically all of Cal I think. You probably need to water a lot of times each day on those peak summer days. I know in Japan they often water 2 times a day with their humidity during peak summer.
Also, in colder climates, kanuma soil doesn't insulate very well and the temperatures inside the rool ball drop lower than they would with other soil mixes. So going 100% kanuma soil isn't always the best way to go. Especially if you also take price in consideration since kanuma soil costs 20x outside of Japan what it costs inside Japan.

Smoke, indeeed this is not the karaoke bar. You ought to have learned there that you only enter a debate when you are sure you have the facts right. You got trashed there. Now you come here and pick a fight out of spite and grudge and the same thing happens again. Yet here we aren't posting with Klytus and Greer as the bystanders. Rather we have people who actually hope to learn something and who are asking questions.

I don't remember all the insults and critisism I got and from who, which just goes to speak on how well I guard my sanity, but weren't you one of those people that complained I didn't contribute enough to the other sides to the forum? I only comment on things I know I know something about. I know something about politics, science and economics. I know something about azalea. I am careful and wait patiently for a topic I can provide a meaningful contribution to. I don't know a lot about bonsai so I keep quiet about that. Maybe to you this is insanity, but to me this seems to be wisdom.
I can't tell if you know something about bonsai or not. But certainly you now have a track record that should make you shut up about both politics and azalea.

Maybe your assumption that if I know nothing about politics and thus I also know nothing about azalea should now be corrected and applied reflexive. Maybe I was right every step of the way about poltiics and you were just dead wrong. Just maybe.

[edit]

Wow somehow my message got cut off every early. But I seems I have perfected my subconscious reflex of always ctrl+a into ctrl+c'ing just before I click the post button. Even that I get right, lol.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever...continue typing...I have high end bonsai to pinch.

Got any pictures of sickly sweet peas? I would be interested in that.

I will give you one thing. You win the prize for the most words ever typed in a thread and said nothing.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, in peak summer in Japan is the rainy season.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Gonna close this thread since it seems to have lost its purpose and I am sure there is better things we can all do with our time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom