Soil Alternatives?

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you want something bigger than the NAPA particle size, I will sell you calcined DE that ranges from 1/8" - 3/8" for $7 plus shipping for a large flat rate box.

PS: I only have 1000 pounds left when this is gone the price will nearly double. I sold about 800 pounds at $11 a box.

How many pounds of DE in the box?

Edit: I see on your site it’s 3.5 gallons. How much for shipping to FL @ 32309?

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use Floor Dry from Napa Auto Parts (diatomatious earth) and granite chicken grit from a farm supply store. Both come in 25 lb bags for $10 each.
Napa part # 8822 is great! I just make sure to sift and wash it before using so the fines don't clog things up.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
ah look! everything I needed to know in a visual reference!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For someone just starting out, who may be on a budget, what are some alternatives?
What are some of the alternatives that we can use?

The old joke answer to that question was to suggest that you could use shredded $100 bills ... but if you're on a budget the $20 bills work almost as well ... ;)

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just started bonsai last year and I had the same question. I read soil threads until I got bored and my conclusion was that it kinda doesn't matter what the components are as long as you're using them for the correct properties. Or adjust your habits accordingly.

I decided that it would be fun to join the "I Hate Turface" team so now I look down on anyone that uses it. Just because.

I also decided to go with "Poor Man's Boon's Mix" and substituted DE for Akadama, Perlite for pumice, and kept the lava rock. It's working mostly well. I do have to be careful when watering because it is really lightweight and splashes out easily. I do need to mix in something organic (like composted pine bark) for the deciduous because I had a hard time keeping them wet enough in the spring when they were growing hard. Oh, I'm using pond baskets so that makes them dry out even faster.

I did have some plant health issues early on and I think it was the lack of nutrients in the soil-less mix. But I've been fertilizing every week since early Spring with either Alaska fish or liquid kelp and my trees are doing a lot better now. I think it is because there are some beneficial organisms built up in the soil and well-binded nutrients available throughout.

I was just starting up so I had a lot of things to buy. Next time I will probably go a little heavier in lava rock and go with the pumice instead of perlite to get just a touch extra weight.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
pumice and lava rock if you can find it where you live, and find it in the right particle size.
This. Don't skimp on soil components. Chicken grit and granite have no value as bonsai soil. They're heavy and non-porous. You can substitite pine bark for akadama, or DE as Mike suggested above. Soil is your #1 most important component, and watering your #1 most important skill. I've been at this since 2013 (a very short time in the bonsai scheme of things), and I'm still learning how to water correctly. I'm also on a budget. Can't afford to buy great pieces of material, but there are some things you should not compromise on. Good soil is one of them.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah it’s a good video, all of his videos are. Plus he is a cool dude, I met him at the bonsai expo at the Asheville Arboretum. Very informative if you collect or wanting too.

Top Bottom