Soil sifting and grading machine?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
At some point I’d really like to build a machine to help me sift and grade larger amounts of unrefined pumice. I’m posting this in hopes to generate some ideas about how this might work? Does anyone have pictures of a good system, suggestions for how to put something together or ideas?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just use a 2x4 rectangular frame with 1/4" or 1/2" wire mesh stapled on. It is designed to fit on top of my wheelbarrow, and I use a 2x4 block in hand to move the substrate across the mesh. When little more falls thru, I dump the frame into a bucket or something and repeat. I think it may have cost me $10 and it took less than 1/2hr to build.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Extremely nice :) but if I would go that route and all the trouble...I'll do a double layer sifter and add a second finer grade screen below.

I said tons dude.....tons. This is a commercial setup for actually bagging soil for sale to the public. The actual first efforts at packaging a suitable soil made in the USA. You can do that when you get it home.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I said tons dude.....tons. This is a commercial setup for actually bagging soil for sale to the public. The actual first efforts at packaging a suitable soil made in the USA. You can do that when you get it home.

I know that but of course you missed my point (as always). :rolleyes:

What my comment is to make it more efficient for just a little more money...much more important if it is for commercial use. Why run an aggregate through it twice (or 3 times) if you can do it once?

Also, note that the finer the material...the slower they move down the ramp. Thus the ramp slope (for the fines) is normally more stiff than the sifter. But I guess he knows that already...just didn't do it. ;) I know about the vibration factor also but it really depends on what you are sifting. The walls of the lower collector is also very low, I see it as the production bottle neck. Hate to stop just to manually push the fines down the chute. If it doesn't have much fines, then this should be okay...just not as "flexible".

Good luck!

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Let me know when they're ready, I'll try a bunch.

nip

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A slightly modified portable cement mixer could help automate and accelerate your sifting process. I do not have an example, just an idea.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is this "soil" you speak of :confused:

Grimmy

Top Bottom