Some pictures from the Redneck Bonsai Photo Studio

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, are we talking about the little trunk-like branch coming of the base to the left? If we are, I have to say that’s one of my favorite features of this tree, something that makes people stop and ask questions... a “conversation branch” if you will. It certainly is unusual for an old, tall tree to have a Low branch like that. With that in mind, I’ll agree that while removing that branch would produce a nice image, it would remove a piece of the tree that sets it apart from other similar trees. Anyway, I won’t be cutting it off any time soon.

It is a curious branch for sure, "conversational" as you say. I not that I own the tree, I wish I did own the tree and would choose to see it as a small jin like featured further up the tree. I like that the mature bark runs evenly base to top and throughout most of the branching that is view-able. I like it much, good job shaping the branches, very interesting to look at.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It is a curious branch for sure, "conversational" as you say. I not that I own the tree, I wish I did own the tree and would choose to see it as a small jin like featured further up the tree. I like that the mature bark runs evenly base to top and throughout most of the branching that is view-able. I like it much, good job shaping the branches, very interesting to look at.
Wish I could take credit for the styling of this one but can’t. This is the only tree I’ve ever purchased styled and wired by someone else, in this case, Tyler Sherrod. I’m pretty sure a tree he styled won an award at Kokofu, so I’m ok with my tree’s provenance?

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wish I could take credit for the styling of this one but can’t. This is the only tree I’ve ever purchased styled and wired by someone else, in this case, Tyler Sherrod. I’m pretty sure a tree he styled won an award at Kokofu, so I’m ok with my tree’s provenance?

Nothing wrong with that, I'd of bought it too ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
conversational

I like that little trunk too.

But there IS a Visual human brain discrepentizer.... This.. \ \ .... That "box" shape it creates with the right low branch.

I wonder if you can foreshorten it a bit to get it higher...2019-02-20-06-40-29.jpg

Helps a bit....

But until that lil trunk is large enough so it's branches can "own" the "old swoop down" it is kinda gonna look like a branch going the wrong way...

In continuing to view....

Maybe the branches directly above it need a deleting.
2019-02-20-06-49-43.jpg

Quite a bit of noise directly above the lil fella.

Mave My Fave still...
But a Dav4 tree is a Dav4 tree for certain!

Sorce

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like that little trunk too.

But there IS a Visual human brain discrepentizer.... This.. \ \ .... That "box" shape it creates with the right low branch.

I wonder if you can foreshorten it a bit to get it higher...View attachment 228231

Helps a bit....

But until that lil trunk is large enough so it's branches can "own" the "old swoop down" it is kinda gonna look like a branch going the wrong way...

In continuing to view....

Maybe the branches directly above it need a deleting.
View attachment 228233

Quite a bit of noise directly above the lil fella.

Mave My Fave still...
But a Dav4 tree is a Dav4 tree for certain!

Sorce
Thanks Sorce. This tree has only recently been styled. It'll hopefully back bud well which will allow for more refinement of the existing branches. And don't forget... my photography skills are lacking, so might say something differently if you saw this tree in person.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this group the best. Was this with your iPhone? If so, what did you do differently from the first batch? Great trees too!
Someone suggested messing around with the edit function on the Iphone and adjust the contrast. The results are pretty cool, though I think it can be overdone a bit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Sorce. This tree has only recently been styled. It'll hopefully back bud well which will allow for more refinement of the existing branches. And don't forget... my photography skills are lacking, so might say something differently if you saw this tree in person.
Looks like it’ll be a showstopper given a bit of time to “fill-in” so to speak.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s the Internet, Dave! EVERYONE is a better stylist than whoever styled your tree! Kokofu winner? Bah! That’s nuthin’!!! There’s a guy who showed a saikei at “a really big show”, and he won People’s Choice! THAT’s who you should be getting to style your trees! Not some redneck from Hickory, NC. So, who cares if he spent 5 years studying with the best bonsai artist in Japan? Nah... you need to get a guy who’s inspired from beings from Outer Space! Best in the World? Peanuts! Go for the Galaxy! The Universe!!!

Hey! I think they just discovered that the Milky Way isn’t flat. It has a twist! I’m SURE that explains the forward lean of the Kokofu trees! Now, if we were all to style our trees do that they don’t lean forward, I’m sure the twist would resolve itself, and the Milky Way would revert back to being a flat spiral armed galaxy! Save the Galaxy! Style with no lean! Bonsaiers Unite! Save the Galaxy!

(Is marijuana legal in Georgia yet?)

No?

Then that can’t be it...

I got my booster shot for Shingles yesterday. Maybe that’s it!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a wonderful example of violating every interpretation of the first branch rule, in spades, that fits into the overall picture just peachy-keen. You could get life in prison and a Nobel Prize!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a wonderful example of violating every interpretation of the first branch rule, in spades, that fits into the overall picture just peachy-keen. You could get life in prison and a Nobel Prize!
Hmmm... why ISN'T there a Nobel Prize for bonsai?!?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because all of us styling our trees with a forward lean are causing the Milky Way to warp!

I thought everyone knew that!
You're like a dog with a bone, you know :p

@Dav4 tree looks good. Personally not sure about the low branch/trunk but you can always remove it later if you decide you no longer like it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're like a dog with a bone, you know :p

@Dav4 tree looks good. Personally not sure about the low branch/trunk but you can always remove it later if you decide you no longer like it.
Yeah, it's not in everyone's taste, but it's definitely one of the things that drew me to the tree when I first saw it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, it's not in everyone's taste, but it's definitely one of the things that drew me to the tree when I first saw it.
Not to mention old, with mature bark all the way up to the apex. Short, straight needles. No grafting scar.

Top Bottom