Some pictures from the Redneck Bonsai Photo Studio

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you bump up the contrast in post processing those iphone pics, they will be perfect.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Does Georgia get cold enough in the winter for your junipers? One of your junipers looks like one form Bonsai West.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Does Georgia get cold enough in the winter for your junipers? One of your junipers looks like one form Bonsai West.
Junipers, in general, are about as adaptable to varying climates as a bonsai hobbyist could want. There's a rocky mountain junipers, 2 shimpaku (J. chinensis) and a J. squamata (singleseed juniper) in the pictures above, all purchased from New England Bonsai over a decade ago. They were rock solid growing in MA, and have done well Down in N GA for the last 10 years, though spider mites and fungal rusts and tip blights are a bigger issue here. It's the alpine species, like Japanese White Pine, that I worry about. I also brought several pines collected from out west when I moved... their carcasses are somewhere in my landscaping

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Zoom more on the real camera. That way you can avoid having the roof as background. You will have to stand farther out.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I got the afternoon off thanks to the winter weather event that wasn't... but it's 2 pm, most of my trees are on the ground and beginning to freeze up and we're headed into the teens tonight. I swung by HD and got some higher wattage LED floods to try them out in the RNBPS.
DSC_0353.JPGDSC_0355.JPGDSC_0356.JPGDSC_0358.JPGDSC_0361.JPG

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I like this...?
View attachment 224798/QUOTE]

What are your plans with the first branch, when I remove it with my hand the tree looks far superior as a bonsai. I'm guessing it is a sacrifice or you like it on there and I'm just not seeing the same tree as you. I like it very much though.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, are we talking about the little trunk-like branch coming of the base to the left? If we are, I have to say that’s one of my favorite features of this tree, something that makes people stop and ask questions... a “conversation branch” if you will. It certainly is unusual for an old, tall tree to have a Low branch like that. With that in mind, I’ll agree that while removing that branch would produce a nice image, it would remove a piece of the tree that sets it apart from other similar trees. Anyway, I won’t be cutting it off any time soon.

Top Bottom