Sorce pots

Reaction score
I dig that ashtrayish one.šŸ¤”

Sorce
Thanks these are my first. I am just trying to get down concepts before getting to creative. Might try to start with some slabs. Idk though. Trying to get more oval and rectangle pots. Fo you fire with cone 6?

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Like ....View attachment 174465

The semi threw me.

What is going in a...

?

That's huge! Surely not a Kusamono! Sounds fun!

I can only fit about 16" in the kiln, so a final size can be about 15" max with lower shrink.

Doin it!

Sorce
So, Sorce made me about 20 melted pots. Just bought back a few of them at a local bonsai store after I spread them around the south at bonsai events for auctions.
Will make a new thread about them soon. Overall, pretty darn cool. Spotted this one (white) at Creekside Bonsai....

Attachments

• C592FE8C-F439-47EA-A748-8DB02A963CA6.jpeg
    C592FE8C-F439-47EA-A748-8DB02A963CA6.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 80

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Most surrounding it are owned by Nashville potter and club Prez John Cole. Best to get your commissions in now before Bjorn and I put him on retainer or something. He will be expensive to buy from soon imo.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those rectangles are very nice. Iā€™ll need something like those when my spruces and lodgepoles are ready.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As your confidence in the clay improves, they need to become lighter. Heavy pot = New potter.
These look nice, and Mark gave a very good review.
From a potter's perspective this is true, but consumers like heavy pieces, especially planters. I used to do a craft fair where the ladies kept coming back year after year because they liked my heavy bowls to keep their oatmeal hot and their yogurt cold.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I spoke with Tom Turner about it, he's famous, said it's about feeling how it looks.

I have been trying to use 1/8in slabs for smaller pots. It's nice.

I mostly use 3/16, 6mm.

But have done a couple large in 5/16.

Nothing half inch yet.

There's a heavy cross over as far as size of pot for slab thickness.

I would say Bonsai pots lean towards the heavier by necessity.

@Owen Reich you inspired the first for the gas kiln.
20200122_145601.jpg

20200122_145613.jpg

I do love this style.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It takes a heavy pot to support a heavy tree in a heavy climate. I still have a sorce pot given to be two years ago and iti is doing fine with a Mugo in it. Sorce: If you are interested in making a heavy slab type pot for the Drunken Dragon maybe we can communicate for a plan for one.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
From a potter's perspective this is true, but consumers like heavy pieces, especially planters. I used to do a craft fair where the ladies kept coming back year after year because they liked my heavy bowls to keep their oatmeal hot and their yogurt cold.
Iā€™m talking about bonsai pots. I donā€™t collect cereal bowls.šŸ˜‰

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Iā€™m talking about bonsai pots. I donā€™t collect cereal bowls.
Maybe you should!
I sold 13 stoneware bonsai pots on eBay in the past three weeks that were all heavy pots designed for seasonal use. They were all wheel thrown round pots of various dimensions but were primarely 5 to 7 inch pots with a couple larger ones. I haven't made a traditional slab pot in years but I will be doing some soon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd collect cereal bowls if diamond bits weren't so expensive! Lol!

@Vance Wood , Frary won't let me not accept that honor. I just hope I have the skills to slay it like it ought to be slayed!

sold 13 stoneware bonsai pots

I'll be needed to aquire one of them. How's that work? Thanks!

Sorce

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Agreed. For dinnerware lighter can be considered better, but wind and weather are the enemy of light pots. I usually do my slab work at 3/16 to 1/4ā€ thick. Largely depends on if I am rolling slabs with sticks or the slab roller and if I am being lazy about putting in or removing the shims on the slab roller. A lot of the ā€œthinner is betterā€ philosophy is for thrown pieces. Making an 18ā€ cascade pot with 1/8ā€ walls just ainā€™t a gonna cut it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20 melted pots.

I was watching a video of Phil Rogers and a Gallery Owner in Boston. The Gallery Owner had him make jugs in this nature. They were talking about the new things that came about due to the focus of one theme. The same thing happened here, we should do it again!

I have 3 or so I'm itching to fire, after looking at these picture again, the urge is stronger.

I want to know where this purplish one is. I think I need to hold it again! I believe I ignored it mostly because I knew I couldn't have it, I want it now! The real feelings are stirring. I know, only now, the energy of this pot! So Warm!
_DSC1312.JPG_DSC1313.JPG_DSC1314.JPG

This ones better side....IMO!
_DSC1315.JPG

OMG!
_DSC1319.JPG_DSC1323.JPG_DSC1328 - Copy.JPG

Even my daughter said, "you can't even use these, how do you use them?"

True. But Damn!

Sorce

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was watching a video of Phil Rogers and a Gallery Owner in Boston. The Gallery Owner had him make jugs in this nature. They were talking about the new things that came about due to the focus of one theme. The same thing happened here, we should do it again!

I have 3 or so I'm itching to fire, after looking at these picture again, the urge is stronger.

I want to know where this purplish one is. I think I need to hold it again! I believe I ignored it mostly because I knew I couldn't have it, I want it now! The real feelings are stirring. I know, only now, the energy of this pot! So Warm!
View attachment 304284View attachment 304285View attachment 304286

This ones better side....IMO!
View attachment 304287

OMG!
View attachment 304288View attachment 304289View attachment 304290

Even my daughter said, "you can't even use these, how do you use them?"

True. But Damn!

Sorce
I wouldnā€™t mind trying to use them šŸ˜‰

Top Bottom