Sourcing corkbark pines to grow in the ground

weetree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
You can really only propagate corker cultivars by grafts and cuttings, not seeds. If you’re grafting your own, make the graft right at the ground level on JBP seedlings. Do it right at the root cuticle. For cultivars, Evergreen Gardenworks has the broadest selection.

‘Ondae’ was from Seattle-area Dave Dewire who died last year. I’m not sure who you’d get that cultivar from unless you can get some scion material. A few members here have it. I sold mine because it was a frustrating specimen, but it did grow nice cork. I’d suggest trying ‘Brocade’ or ‘Hayabusa’. ‘Taihei’ is a good grower too, so is ‘Kyokko Yatsabusa’, but both of those have long needles.

Best of luck, someone needs to carry that work forward for the next generation. Let me know if I can help.

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. I have been trying to find some cork bark pine seedlings to grow in the ground for years. I’ve tried growing seeds from a cone from an Ondai, but no luck. Most corkies you find online are grafted and I would rather have no grafts. Anyone know of any or have some they want to part with? I may have to go with cuttings perhaps.

Thanks for the help,

Ed
I got a Fuji, a Tsukasa and a Kasuga cork bark pine from Steve Pilacik in 2005. They were grafted on Japanese black pine. They were 5 years old at the time. I just grow them to enjoy their barks. In early 2020 I started growing the pines from seeds collected from these trees. After 3 years, most of them still look like regular pine trees except one. I hope it turns out a cork bark tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg