Stages.....in wich are you now?

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Curiosity: Visited a nursery thought it was interesting styled a few cotoneaster for a few years (in my early teens)
2. Denial: Grew Orchids for almost 40 years (still do).
3. Still denial: Met my partner who was into bonsai but stuck with orchids.
4. Curiosity renewed: Visited Japan and a couple of nurseries.
5. Interest awakens: Bought a Satsuki at the Trophy in 2020
6. Hook line and sinker: Covid hit the world nothing to do so buy more trees.
7. Over confidence: Thought I knew it all (no trees were harmed in this process).
8. Acceptance (current): Realising this is a life long journey. Own a bunch of trees, expensive pots and reducing the orchids so the greenhouse can be used for trees. Will keep my favourite orchids inside and buy some which handle low single digit centigrade.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm still in the "Don't give a flip about the rules" stage. Have been since the beginning. I go buy how the tree looks and feels to ME. If someone else gets pleasure out of that, so much the better.
I am the same way. Unfortunately, I mostly agree with the rules with just one exception - I don't like those perfectly shaped dome bonsai trees. They take me to uncanny valley. They are so real but look so fake.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am the same way. Unfortunately, I mostly agree with the rules with just one exception - I don't like those perfectly shaped dome bonsai trees. They take me to uncanny valley. They are so real but look so fake.
Agree my only live workshop was with Walter Pall and online with Mirai.

When visiting Japan I didn’t feel attracted at all to these perfect domes, although I respect the skill required to reach this level I prefer Western / Naturalistic bonsai.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
1. Read some books on bonsai.
2. Bought a "Bonsai kit"
3. Failed
4. Was introduced to "real" bonsai.
5. Joined a club, learned little by little
6. Started going to conventions and taking workshops
7. Joined a second club led by sensei Mas Imazumi.
8. Finally had some trees worthy of our club shows.
9 Started collecting yamadori,
10. Suddenly I have 400+ trees
11. Joined study groups with Peter Adams, Ryan Neil, and Peter Tea.
12. Started culling. Down to +- 150 pretty good trees.
13. Can't lift half of my trees anymore.
14. Next stage... Reduce my collection to less than 100 high quality, mostly chuhin and smaller bonsai.
Excellent study group.

I love big trees but woah in my area it is an effort with all the moving of them in winter and spring.

I'm definitely looking for more medium size trees these days.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not adding any new trees of any size. I’m happy with the few trees I have. I periodically examine trees I have and if the development is to far in the future, or the tree simply lacks interest to me, I pull it out of the container and plant it in the woods to live with the big trees. My collection is reduced in quantity each year and I don’t replace lost trees…I do not have a need to fill bench space. To me, a big collection has never meant I’m any better at bonsai.

Top Bottom