Stages...one goes through as a bonsai enthusiast

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, I would pass on that, if it is a crabapple. There are much better starts to be had for not a lot of money. If the flower color is unknown, it's probably because the plant hasn't bloomed yet, which can take 20 year or more, depending on variety and growing conditions. Try your friend Steve at Plant City, he has a good selection of crabs, with both pink and white flowering varieties.

I have a feeling...if I call Steve...I won't be getting a crabapple...but a weeping birch. That is...if he still has it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 38

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm a fan of your tree! looks like this is gonna be a fun tree to work with

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Each has advantages. At this point I would go with the one that excites you the most. Some of my "ugliest" trees bring me the most pleasure. Some of my better trees I really don't care too much about.

I just got a weeping needle juniper that I am really looking forward to styling. I'll bet 100 people would walk by that tree and see nothing special. It speaks to me :)

PS Giga PUT DOWN THE KNIFE!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Each has advantages. At this point I would go with the one that excites you the most. Some of my "ugliest" trees bring me the most pleasure. Some of my better trees I really don't care too much about.

I just got a weeping needle juniper that I am really looking forward to styling. I'll bet 100 people would walk by that tree and see nothing special. It speaks to me :)

What is really on my desires to have...is an untraditional " little girl " variety magnolia! It's in bold on my list with hearts on both sides. I know the nursery that plans to open it's doors for me in March...has decent size stock of little girls. (Unsure of the variety since they are out back) So it would make a decent chop possibly...that is what I want what I really REALLY want!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Ima commin for ya....

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Lucky not everybody thinks like you or the world would be full of myopic rude people.

LOL I had to quote this it struck me as so funny that anyone could take my viewpoint and extrapolate it to the whole "world" o_O Then thinking it over it seemed like a rude remark as if to say I have no nice Bonsai ? :mad: Djtommy 's mommy must have forgot to teach him manners. :(

ed
Yea it seemed a bit rude but we can forgive a slip up now and then right? ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just remember that ramification for a crabapple is pretty different than with other deciduous trees in general. Don't expect to take away techniques from learning on a crabapple for other trees.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My opinion about the chop is that the point where the tape rests is too high, there's a straight sections of trunk between the second branch and tape. I would chop above the second branch.

Good luck,

Augustine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a discussion vid on this as well. I have always loved crabapples but it seems every one I have run across it has had root nematodes. So be very careful and if you see any gull like structures on the roots run the other direction.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just remember that ramification for a crabapple is pretty different than with other deciduous trees in general. Don't expect to take away techniques from learning on a crabapple for other trees.
Would you mind explaining further how they are different? I bought one recently and have not read that they use different ramification methods.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks all...I ended up passing on this. Reeling myself in...to waiting to find the perfect tree to fill the pot and not forcing it. (Wise one gave me great advice)

What is on top of my list...is that magnolia...so that is where I'm going to put my effort in looking. My #2 tree...I'm hoping to find for the contest. :) Luck maybe on my side...I think another nursery might be open at some point in March depending on the weather.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would you mind explaining further how they are different? I bought one recently and have not read that they use different ramification methods.
Joe, so as not to intrude on this thread, I'll just give you a link to a thread about my crabapple that I've been working on ramification. Stan - our resident crab expert helped me understand energy flow and how to work them for maximum results.
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/crabapple-renovation.6379/

Top Bottom