Stolen Bonsai in Sacramento!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Mr. and Mrs. Maruyama's Nursery in Sacramento was robbed Sunday night and "stole about 20 trees. There were 4 men with a U-Haul caught on video. They took his beautiful large old White Pine that h'd never sell...along with other better White and Black Pine. They also stole a customer's aged hornbeam. Despite their loss the Maruyama's donated 6 or 7 trees for those in Paradise."

Please get the word out and be aware of ANY trees for sale you happen to come across or find in your research in helping the Maruyama's out in this matter that involves all of us bonsai enthusiasts. We need to stop this and stop these men.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Such a bummer and I’m very sad to hear about this.

S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hopefully law enforcement can pull data from traffic cameras and track down the u-haul used in the crime. Hopefully lead them back to the douche nozzle who rented said u-haul and conclude with the arrest of the scumbags who allegedly stole the trees and result in recovery of the trees.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always afraid this will go the way of the orchids down here.
Orchid society raised the awareness to theft level.
Present Bonsai Society may also do this.

Ignorance is a good weapon.

Hope all is returned.
Good Day
Anthony

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hopefully law enforcement can pull data from traffic cameras and track down the u-haul used in the crime. Hopefully lead them back to the douche nozzle who rented said u-haul and conclude with the arrest of the scumbags who allegedly stole the trees and result in recovery of the trees.
Yeah, maybe the video shows the license plate. U-haul should be able to figure oit who rented it, at least....unless they stole the truck too.
Sick bastards.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Please post photos if you have them we all need to be on the lookout. Hopefully someone posted them to FB, as there is a large contingent of bonsai folks who can help in that effort. So sad.

D

Deleted member 21616

I wonder if a waterproof GPS tracker could/should be included in repottings? Something relatively inexpensive like this comes to mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Tile-Pro-Rep...0TCGH7WE8RF&psc=1&refRID=VYXZDYE9Q0TCGH7WE8RF

I have friends that use them in dogs, fish (arowana, koi), and bikes - why not an old tree? I wouldn't place it in the bottom of the pot, but sandwiched right in there among the roots and layers of substrate.

I don't have any trees worth stealing, but when my neighbours google "bonsai" they see massive price tags and assume my trees must also be . We're all at risk :(

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What in the world can they do with them? I've seen the trees every time I go there and I can't see them showing up at a flea market.
Very rotten stunt.
Someone must have pix of the trees.
:confused:

Reactions: GGB
D

Deleted member 21616

What in the world can they do with them? I've seen the trees every time I go there and I can't see them showing up at a flea market.

its the equivalent of people stealing fine art, or in my field, ancient greek artifacts. potential for re-sale is high-risk low-reward (because potential buyers are niche, and know the community)

in my view, hits like this one are organized by people who want the art, artifacts, or trees, for their personal collections

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very rotten stunt.
Someone must have pix of the trees.
:confused:
That's a good question. The thieves came prepared with at TRUCK to steal what sound like large, old trees, along with smaller ones. More thought went into the theft than the simple morons that take bonsai to put in their houses...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
its the equivalent of people stealing fine art, or in my field, ancient greek artifacts. potential for re-sale is high-risk low-reward (because potential buyers are niche, and know the community)

in my view, hits like this one are organized by people who want the art, artifacts, or trees, for their personal collections
If someone can take personal satisfaction from stolen stuff and also call it "THEIR COLLECTION" then they are beneath contempt
and maybe even personally punished more than the law could do.
Pure rotten souls.

:mad:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If someone can take personal satisfaction from stolen stuff and also call it "THEIR COLLECTION" then they are beneath contempt
and maybe even personally punished more than the law could do.
Pure rotten souls.

:mad:
You think like a decent person with a conscience. Decent people don't take other people's stuff.

Thieving scumbags mostly don't give a crap about other people, unless those other people get in their way or find out they're thieving scumbags. These turds simply congratulate themselves on having a spectacular tree in their backyard. They also take some satisfaction in having "outsmarted" the true owner in taking the tree from them.

Thieving scumbags think differently, or they wouldn't be thieving scumbags.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be at Murayama Saturday delivering relief bonsai items to Ron Anderson bonsai for distribution to the fire victims. I will be at Murayama to purchase soil supplies like I do every year. I could be standing there when a guy comes in asking questions about bonsai care and it could be the thief. Wouldn’t that be a slap in the face.

I am giving up 15 years of bonsai focus and bonsai Europe magazine. 600 back issues of GSBF Golden Statements and 15 hard cover books. I am going tonight to pickup my buddies donation of tools shears and pots. These guys lost everything. Shattered pots and charcoal briquettes for trees not to mention their whole house.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These back issues of Golden statements contain the entire diary of Kathy Shaners apprenticeship by day in Japan. There is wonderful insight into daily working in Japan there. Like the scolding she got from resting her arm on the branches of a needle juniper and bending needles!!

Top Bottom