STOLEN BONSAI: re-post from pacific bonsai museum instagram

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The trees will be very hard to hide and will never be able to be shown to anyone associated with bonsai in this area. By now pretty much anyone in the bonsai business and local clubs is on the lookout. They have been on exhibit and in the collection for years and many of us in the Pacific NW would recognize them. Any pro asked to service them would immediately wonder where they came from. Aarin had already planned to be at this months PSBA meeting, so I’m sure he’ll be passing the word again And the news is sure to do a follow up. With luck we‘ll get them back soon! 🙏

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks to everyone for your caring responses and passing on the info concerning the theft.
I'm posting the newest press release:

For Immediate Release

DATE: February 12, 2020
CONTACT: Kathy McCabe, Executive Director, 253-353-7356 or 206.409.0429, kathy@pacificbonsaimuseum.org

FEDERAL WAY, WA—Pacific Bonsai Museum is pleased to report that the two bonsai stolen from our secure, public exhibition space on Sunday, February 9, have both been mysteriously returned to the Museum.

Security guards discovered the pair of bonsai sitting on the road leading to the Museum at approximately 11 pm, Tuesday, February 11. They alerted Museum staff, who responded to the scene along with Federal Way police.

Museum Curator Aarin Packard has examined the trees and has declared them in fairly good shape. “The Silverberry suffered some damage. It has some broken branches, probably due to improper transportation and handling, but both bonsai trees and their pots appear to be intact, which means they can return to being on public display.”

The bonsai will be further examined this morning and placed back on public display by 12:00 noon today. The Japanese Black Pine, originally grown from seed by Japanese American Juzaburo Furuzawa while he was incarcerated during WWII, will resume its position as the centerpiece of Pacific Bonsai Museum’s upcoming special exhibition, World War Bonsai: Remembrance & Resilience, opening May 8, 2020.

“We are deeply grateful for the tremendous outpouring of support from the community and from the media who raised awareness of the bonsai’s disappearance,” said Pacific Bonsai Museum Executive Director Kathy McCabe, who previously promised “no questions asked” if the bonsai were returned. No details are known about who returned the bonsai or why the thieves took them.

The Pacific Bonsai Museum, located in Woodbridge Corporate Park (formerly the Weyerhaeuser Company Campus) in Federal Way, WA, is one of the top bonsai collections in the world. Established by the Weyerhaeuser Company in 1989, the Museum is now a nonprofit organization connecting people to nature through the living art of bonsai.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am so overjoyed to hear they are safe and mostly sound. A great ending......now if only they could tell their tale

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great news indeed. Especially the one from the internment camp. Trees back in good hands and surely looking good again by end of growing season;).

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I here you. I teared up a bit thinking of the man in interment growing this in a can. Sad, from so many levels.
I also teared up at the thought of that tree being stolen when it, at it's beginning helped to bring a small sence of normalcy to a life turned upside down. So happy for the outcome.

Top Bottom