Stolen kishu shimpaku from my garden

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That just announces that you have objects of considerable value in your home (the firearms themselves) and is likely to result in a break-in to your house when you’re not home. A vague non-specific warning or a beware of the dog sign is better, in my opinion.

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry this happened to you. Don't quit bonsai over it. It is inextricably linked to perseverance.

Don't turn the other cheek though. Law enforcement may be useless.

My views on theft are very conservative. If chopping off a hand was a legal sentence I would vote yes on it.

I don't have booby traps but if I felt I did I don't care if they are illegal. I mostly fear hurting some innocent animal in that regard.

A friend of mine told me it's illegal to bait people, like once I was considering faking a "vacation" by moving my cars to a family members house and laying low inside for a few days waiting for a perpetrator. I had reason at the time, things were stolen from my house but not my trees. Well apparently thats illegal somehow...anyways.

I don't own any guns but people don't know that of course. Making it seem like you do is a deterrent.

Surveillance is great. I hear you can plant a gps tracker in pots but ultimately that would be for a very fine tree.

Again, sorry for your loss. I fear it myself.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's nothing wrong with holding someone at gunpoint and doing a citizens arrest until the police show up. I would privacy fence in my yard and install cameras on my property for video evidence. Install motion lights. There are solar motion activated lights out there.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A good dog goes a long way in stopping walk-ins. We have not had any random visits since.
Everywhere in the world, owning a dog is on record as being the single most effective deterrent to robbery or home invasion. Even in my army days in Iraq, armed to the teeth, we would think twice before approaching a house with dogs.

I just didn't bring it up before because if they don't already have a dog they're probably not interested in getting one regardless of the situation, for whatever reason.
That and I've lost more trees since I getting my new dog last month than I have in the previous two years. They experience a certain learning curve with bonsai as well, it turns out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everywhere in the world, owning a dog is on record as being the single most effective deterrent to robbery or home invasion. Even in my army days in Iraq, armed to the teeth, we would think twice before approaching a house with dogs.

I just didn't bring it up before because if they don't already have a dog they're probably not interested in getting one regardless of the situation, for whatever reason.
That and I've lost more trees since I getting my new dog last month than I have in the previous two years. They experience a certain learning curve with bonsai as well, it turns out.

I am in the process of making my 3 low benches into high benches because our 1 year old pup likes to prune sometimes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So sorry mate, it’s terrible to lose all that work.

After a successful home invasion (i.e. no confrontation from homeowner), there’s a high likelihood that the burglars will return a second time with a better idea of what to take and how to coordinate.

Not trying to freak you out, just want to emphasize that installing security measures next month will be too late. Get started on it ASAP if possible! A guy up here scoped us out over several quick trips through our yard, taking little stuff each time. The third time, he broke in and had loaded everything into bags and boxes when we caught him. Too little too late!

Top Bottom