Summer Repotting

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon it's overly important to note that Walter never removes many roots.
well..

Many is subjective of course. But if you use a saw to reduce the rootball.. You are taking of a reasonable amount, maybe?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many is subjective

Relative perhaps, but definitely not subjective.

If trees could talk, they would agree.

He got to that point, by not removing many roots.

In the US, we cut off so much root we need to put tie down wires all across the trunk and eye sorey.

Sorce

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In the US, we cut off so much root we need to put tie down wires all across the trunk and eye sorey.

Not US only. This is true for anyone, anywhere in the world who doesn’t know how to repot properly.

S

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would be great to see some images as to ideal, vss too much, in your views

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Many suggest summer repotting is a panacea. The caveat is that you can't be as drastic in working the roots. For many, one of the main points of repotting is to improve the roots and nebari. That necessitates extensive working of the roots. What BVF demonstrated was that you're setting the trees back (at best) by doing that sort of work in the summer, particularly in warmer climates. What may not be quite as obvious is that your tree's development is going to suffer if you choose to limit the amount of rootwork you're able to safely do simply because you choose to repot in summer.

Everyone who points out that others don't touch the roots, or to limit the reduction to 20% ...you missed the point (as I see it). To limit the work you can do is to limit the development of your trees. (I wonder if the safety of the summer repot being extolled is due to this limit. The same folks who have had difficulty repotting trees in spring, are you limiting the amount of rootwork you're doing to a 20% reduction or not touching the roots at all?)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many suggest summer repotting is a panacea.

I think everyone who supports summer repotting, outwardly say they don't see it as a cure for all difficulties.

I think what BVF demonstrates is that you shouldn't take off more roots than you have to on a JBP. (I would like to know why so much root was removed.)

And that a winter like last has the potential to kill an otherwise healthy tree. Which, was potted twice in one year. Reckon it survived that Repot or that 2 week later pic doesn't exist. Winter killed it. IMO.

Is this actually a true statement? Or is it just what we believe?
To limit the work you can do is to limit the development of your trees.
I swear there is a Walter quote out there that says exact opposite.

Leave more roots for faster development.

That just makes sense to me.

you missed the point

When the original poster admits there is limited information to make conclusions with, can there be a point to miss?
I thought we were still building a knowledge base to reach a point that is yet unknown, and not fully understood.

Sorce

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When the original poster admits there is limited information to make conclusions with, can there be a point to miss?
I thought we were still building a knowledge base to reach a point that is yet unknown, and not fully understood.
Yes, thank you. I was putting out my one data point under the extremely broad topic of "Summer Repotting."

Take it for what it's worth or reject it its entirety, I don't really care. I found it useful, though, which is enough for me.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I’m a newbie so no thoughts or advices whatsoever I didn’t even get half of what i read, just wanted share my summer-ish repot maybe it helps.

so i had this neglected cedar of Lebanon and got a big thick Leylandii cypress from nursery ( i know it’s not recommended for bonsai but it was very cheap for its age and size) good for practice, anyway both needed repotting as water would sit an hour before it drains and stays wet for a week so I decided to repot them, it was late May (28-32 C and humid).

cedar : 60% roots pruned but didn’t bare root, soil was very clay like and hard couldn’t remove it without water jet and didn’t want to do that. 2 weeks later new buds on every cluster and not a single needle lost not even old ones.

Leyladii : 70% roots pruned (had unhealthy roots) almost bare rooted? 2 weeks after no buds but more sap on wounds I don’t know if that’s a goodor bad sign, help is appreciated.

both were put immediately under direct full day sun, soil is a mix of pumice, perlite and coco coir even parts, i water every morning

Attachments

• F195C9A8-605F-42C2-BCE5-D5A49065F2B0.jpeg
    F195C9A8-605F-42C2-BCE5-D5A49065F2B0.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 561AFF77-6608-412E-B45C-6524C7151AC3.jpeg
    561AFF77-6608-412E-B45C-6524C7151AC3.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 28
  • D50D16F2-EC9D-4BD1-AD8B-D3CE45A86741.jpeg
    D50D16F2-EC9D-4BD1-AD8B-D3CE45A86741.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 34D4A854-D167-440A-A985-3E5A3CBBEE5F.jpeg
    34D4A854-D167-440A-A985-3E5A3CBBEE5F.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 25
  • F9A86546-85BE-4FB8-ABA4-55FEC58AB48F.jpeg
    F9A86546-85BE-4FB8-ABA4-55FEC58AB48F.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 27
  • CAB220D1-B7C6-4206-A195-3B9E361AD721.jpeg
    CAB220D1-B7C6-4206-A195-3B9E361AD721.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 22
  • ABF37431-24C8-4D6D-8A13-3603F0B4EC50.jpeg
    ABF37431-24C8-4D6D-8A13-3603F0B4EC50.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 21

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scott is correct, this was not an apples-to-apples comparison in any way. This was an experiment to see if I could get away with repotting (by my definition) in the summer; as many here advocate. Unless I’m simply shifting a tree to a different pot (which presents no risk, in my opinion, and is also not truly repotting), why would I choose to repot in the summer? By these results, I wouldn’t do it.

I've read through the posts and I just wanted to elevate this point back to the front. There is a lack of this kind of experiment both in the bonsai world and academia as a whole. Posting your negative results is as valuable if not more so than successes. I just don't think many of us noobs understand how important it is to see the processes that go into discovering what does and does not work.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've read through the posts and I just wanted to elevate this point back to the front. There is a lack of this kind of experiment both in the bonsai world and academia as a whole. Posting your negative results is as valuable if not more so than successes. I just don't think many of us noobs understand how important it is to see the processes that go into discovering what does and does not work.
I thought that was a good point in Bonsai Heresy--no one's out there writing grants for scientific bonsai research. It's all just a bunch of anecdotal failures with presumed causes.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought that was a good point in Bonsai Heresy--no one's out there writing grants for scientific bonsai research. It's all just a bunch of anecdotal failures with presumed causes.

That is my number one birthday purchase. I can't wait to see whats in there after I heard Michael Hagedorn's interview on Bonsai Mirai.

But aside from my fanboy-ishness, I wish there would be more of us (scientists and bonsai enthusiasts ) that would publish their mistakes. I think it would be paradigm changing to see the failures along with a deep dive on the horticultural/scientific reasons for those failures shared widely.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
horticultural/scientific reasons for those failures shared widely.

I think one could create a program that scours this site alone for information and end up with quite accurate results.

Reckon it would only take a computer nerd an 0soyoung and the idea. And Access.

Sorce

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Here in my mind north florida climate I pretty much repot whenever I notice a tree needs it. You know when I notice water not getting thru or roots pushing up etc. I really only do 'seasonal' repotting when I'm taking a tree from a nursery or training pot to a bonsai sized container for the first time and I need lots of root reductions. Otherwise, I meanings repotted and worked a juniper on July 4th... it was fine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought it anyway. It was decent shipping price to Chile

You're funny as hell! This has me laughing just being Frary's "peek-a-boo Max", you remember that!? Hahahaha! @ConorDash ain't the only one talking to himself! (Thread graft points)

How much is the book?

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to do a lot of repotting in late summer. It is when I have time. Also, both home and on the farm, our summer is mild. We average fewer than 10 days above 90 F, 32 C, per year. On the farm, due to "Lake Effect" being stronger than home, last 4 years, zero days above 90 F. Growing season is 110 to 140 days between frost. As Brian VF, did, I do all the root work needed. Repotting starts Aug 15 and ends by Sept. 1 if possible.

Honestly I feel I have better success in late summer, than in spring. But for me repotting is always risky. JBP in particular have a tendency to drop dead on me after repotting. Spring or summer, my success rate is never 100%. My growing season is short for JBP, and my summers are chilly for JBP, so it is always a crap shoot to do much work on them.

I've had better success repotting jack pines and spruce in summer than JBP in spring or summer.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Satsuki, I have always done my repotting after bloom, which is usually late June, as flowers are middle May to middle June. I've got more long term Satsuki survivors than most other types of trees. I included kurume, with Satsuki in my comments.

Of trees surviving longest in my care, right now I will have to say more are azalea than anything else. Pines, and spruce are close seconds.

Top Bottom