Talk me out of buying fine pots before my trees are ready

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I saw a thread the other day on the Oribe glazed pots of Aiba Koyo, Shuyo, Akinao, and others, and I simply love them. After looking them up, I was shocked to find them a lot more reasonably priced than I expected. The problem is that I really shouldn't be putting most of my trees into a proper pot just yet, and they'd like be better off spending a few more years in Anderson flats, grow bags, or other developmental containers. It doesn't make sense to be buying pots when I don't have particularly immediate plans for them, does it? The only arguments I can see in favor is that it could help direct the development of some of these trees and that the dollar is currently very strong to the yen. Oh, and that shopping is fun, but that doesn't count.
Included below is a picture of a nice Aiba Koyo oval pot that I was eyeing for my Acer rubrum.

1688168329564.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think there is something to be said about maximizing the rate of development on pre-bonsai that require it. But what is the point of pursuing the art of bonsai if we aren't fully enjoying ourselves in the process? I cant purport to speak for everybody (and perhaps I'm a bit biased), but I think its totally acceptable to have some trees that are a bit premature in a nice pot. Particularly if it deepens your appreciation and drive for the practice, I say treat yourself! Provided you understand what you're doing and why, no harm, no foul.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw a thread the other day on the Oribe glazed pots of Aiba Koyo, Shuyo, Akinao, and others, and I simply love them. After looking them up, I was shocked to find them a lot more reasonably priced than I expected. The problem is that I really shouldn't be putting most of my trees into a proper pot just yet, and they'd like be better off spending a few more years in Anderson flats, grow bags, or other developmental containers. It doesn't make sense to be buying pots when I don't have particularly immediate plans for them, does it? The only arguments I can see in favor is that it could help direct the development of some of these trees and that the dollar is currently very strong to the yen. Oh, and that shopping is fun, but that doesn't count.
Included below is a picture of a nice Aiba Koyo oval pot that I was eyeing for my Acer rubrum.

View attachment 496604
Same situation as you describe. I've purchased a few pots and I have undeserving trees, but the pots allow me to dream of the future, have inspiration, and a goal to work towards. :) Plus it's my life, my hobby and my money.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No, you guys didn't read the instructions! You were supposed to talk me out of it!
Well anyway, I shot an offer to the seller to see if they'd be willing to bundle three pots I was interested in. These other two are both quite small at 10cm in diameter, and I only really have a tree in mind for one of them.
s-l1600.png

s-l500.jpg

But what is the point of pursuing the art of bonsai if we aren't fully enjoying ourselves in the process? I cant purport to speak for everybody (and perhaps I'm a bit biased), but I think its totally acceptable to have some trees that are a bit premature in a nice pot. Particularly if it deepens your appreciation and drive for the practice
This makes a lot of sense. Any time I show my trees off to friends, they don't really appreciate the ones that are in nursery pots and grow bags, but really latch onto my single potted tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep, I love the pots too. I have a handful to sell after going nuts with them (but not too many!) and I will say, though, that putting a not-ready tree in a nice pot starts to feel a little thin and I think it makes it a bit weirder to show off the trees. So buy stuff you like looking at on the shelf if you don't have a tree for it. It started feeling awkward to show work I had done on less developed material with them in nicer pots, like "wtf are you doing", which, good point.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's a shot of the maple. It's not too far removed from how I got it from my teacher, but I'm planning a big prune and repot for next year. It's roughly the shape I'd like it to be, just need to work on adding some finer branches.

Attachments

• 20230624_115235.jpg
    20230624_115235.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 69

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So buy stuff you like looking at on the shelf if you don't have a tree for it.
That's true; I like all three of these pots enough that I'd be happy to just display them on their own. Hell, I could even plant house plants in them for a few years and feel like they're fulfilling their purpose while waiting for the right tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, you guys didn't read the instructions! You were supposed to talk me out of it!
Well anyway, I shot an offer to the seller to see if they'd be willing to bundle three pots I was interested in. These other two are both quite small at 10cm in diameter, and I only really have a tree in mind for one of them.

This makes a lot of sense. Any time I show my trees off to friends, they don't really appreciate the ones that are in nursery pots and grow bags, but really latch onto my single potted tree.
nostop.gif

Looks like I'm too late. Nice pots! I am a bit of a pothead. :)

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Last year i discovered that terra cotta pots can be had for fairly cheap, and look way better than nursery cans, so i have moved all of my pre bonsai into some kind of terra cotta before i put them in nicer glazed ceramics eventually.

I have become a bit 'allergic' to nursery cans because it makes my garden look 'trashier' lol. Even my gray plastic training pots...yet i have trees all over the driveway o_O

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
To look at it another way, developing a bonsai with sheer growth in mind presents its own obstacles that need to be overcome in the future. Huge wounds on the trunk from sacrificial limbs, leggy branches. Something developed in a more bonsai appropriate medium from an early age will certainly be slower to getting to a particular scale, but its far more likely to have developed some of those refine features that one looks for along the way. I started out a 'Salmon Sport' Quince from Evegreen Gardenworks in a nice pot. Primarily because seeing it come to maturity in a vessel I like brings me a bit more joy when I'm out watering on a daily basis. It also raises the philisophical question, does the bonsai dictate the pot, or can the pot dictate the bonsai that will inevitably inhabit it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's true; I like all three of these pots enough that I'd be happy to just display them on their own. Hell, I could even plant house plants in them for a few years and feel like they're fulfilling their purpose while waiting for the right tree.
Just don't go overboard like some people. ;)

PXL_20230701_002555648.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wow, I love that elephant stand. My singular potted tree is a procumbens that to me looks like an elephant, and I've been looking for an accessory to complement that imagery. While that stand would perhaps be a little on the trunk, it does inspire to continue my search for ways to evoke the elephant I see in this little tree.20230524_223828.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In other news, the seller accepted my offer for these three pots (with no hesitation, perhaps I left some on the table), so you have all officially failed in my ask :^)

thanks for the thoughts, this has been a fun little discussion.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm just going to add that putting a not so ready tree into a nice bonsai pot is typically wrong on multiple fronts... but... putting a nice tree that you developed for a long time into an equally nice pot... priceless:cool:! It's equally priceless to have that pot at your disposal because you already own it. Pots don't go bad over time and, and if anything, increase in value if the provenance is right. Fwiw, I'm impressed. Not only have you cracked the seal on spending decent $$$ on decent pots, you've already mastered one of the most advanced techniques in building a good bonsai pot collection... buying in bulk!!!

Perplexody

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My school of thought is that the pots look beautiful on their own and can't be killed.

Also like mentioned, already having a collection of pots is great when you do need to repot a tree without a specific one in mind

Don't forget to get varying colors and sizes so you have them for the right trees when they come 😉

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fortunately, I already have plans to double my bookshelf space..for the time being, some of that room can be dedicated to pots.

If anyone has a story about a pot that they held onto for many years while looking for the One Tree to go with it, I would love to hear it.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fwiw, I'm impressed. Not only have you cracked the seal on spending decent $$$ on decent pots, you've already mastered one of the most advanced techniques in building a good bonsai pot collection... buying in bulk!!!
Yes, when I offered to buy all three, the seller knocked off about 25% the price, plus shipping is substantially cheaper. I like quite a few of the pots that they have for sale, so I may be coming back.

Now I just need to find a similarly well-equipped seller of penjing style pots...

Top Bottom