Tamarind tree seed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey again all!

I've got a Tamarind tree seed that has grown a long tap-root by using the wet coffee filter method. I was wondering if it would be bettr to plant it in regular dirt or to go ahead and put it in some nice bonsai soil. Which would be better? I would think the bonsai soil as it does not hold too much water. Man I feel dumb asking this, but thanks everyone!

P.S. It will eventually be a bonsai, though many years down the road.

Ryan

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
seed

Hey again all!

I've got a Tamarind tree seed that has grown a long tap-root by using the wet coffee filter method. I was wondering if it would be bettr to plant it in regular dirt or to go ahead and put it in some nice bonsai soil. Which would be better? I would think the bonsai soil as it does not hold too much water. Man I feel dumb asking this, but thanks everyone!

P.S. It will eventually be a bonsai, though many years down the road.

Ryan

Ryan,

Texas grit (1/8 of an inch or smaller) or mame bonsai mix would work fine. That's what we use. But I am sure there are many more ways.

Best,dorothy

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks both of you. I didn't want to put it in regular dirt as I didnt want to over water and kill it.

And to be honest, I have no idea of what it's native soil is.

Ryan

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It grows well in regular soil in its native. It is tropical tree, so be careful in winter. Good luck. Bonhe

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks bonhe. I just put it in regular Bonsai soil. Although I am afraid it will not make it if I put it in there and I don't have a clue as to why I think this.

Top Bottom