Tea Tree Progression

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this little Australian Tea Tree from Brent Walston a few years back when I made a pilgrimage down to meet him and visit Evergreen Gardens in California. I had no idea how the tree would do in the climate here, but it has proven a robust and hardy little evergreen broadleaf, and it's been a fun tree to work with. I couldn't see that I have posted it before, so hear it is.

The first photo was taken after the first styling in 2009, after it had acclimated a few years, and the second one is how it looks today. I like the unexpected quality of the descending branch on the left, but the photo makes it clear that its angularity will need to be softened a bit with some wire. It'll also go into a more appropriate pot this spring.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• TeaTree-09.jpg
    TeaTree-09.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 192
  • TeaTree.jpg
    TeaTree.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 227

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can we see more angles on this tree pretty please? :) I've never seen a tea tree with anything but a pencil trunk. Does the bark exfoliate on these? Looks happy...

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice. What variety is that one?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi JudyB: I'll see if I can get some other angles today. Yes, the bark exfoliates slightly - quite attractively so at different times of the year. And yes, it's a happy little guy - always lively and uplifting!

Capnk: I don't even know if there are different varieties, as this plant is unknown to me except for this specimen. There probably are, but I just don't know.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Evidently "Tea Tree" is a common name that refers to at least nine different plant genera or species' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_tree). Six of those are native or endemic to Australia, but Wikipedia tells me that Leptospermum laevigatum is specifically called the Australian Tea Tree, so my first guess is that that's what you have.

Very nice looking tree, by the way.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a sharp tree, man I love the bark and the angle on the little btanch on the left looks very natural like something one would stroll upon in a forest setting.

ed

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
..., but Wikipedia tells me that Leptospermum laevigatum is specifically called the Australian Tea Tree, so my first guess is that that's what you have.

Very nice looking tree, by the way.

This is actually the New Zealand tea tree (not the Australian, or laevigatum). It has narrow and arrow-like leaves. I also think that this species is better suited to our Pacific North-West, since New Zealand has similar climate.
The Australian one has wider and larger leaves, ending in a rounded shape. So, the leaves look very different. It needs a warmer climate, and Seattle wouldn't be a good place to grow. I just got a few Australian ones, so I can easily recognize those.

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ed, thanks for your kind words.

Atilla, thanks for that useful info - it helps make sense of the winter hardiness of this fellow. Lucky you to have jus got some of these. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your slightest wish . . .

Perhaps even better from the back?

I say yes! The simplified knot at the root base adds - for me - to the overall serenity of the piece. And I like the branching better from here too...
Do the leaves have fragrance?
Love this little guy.

lackhand

Yamadori
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I've got a few NZ tea trees myself, and just wanted to ask if you have had any trouble with root pruning? From what I hear they are notoriously picky about that and don't do well with it at all. Any tips? Thanks!

GeorgeH

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm curious about this as well. There are a couple of nice looking New Zealand Tea Trees at one of my local nurseries that I am interested in. I am trying to find out what I can about them.

lackhand

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. There are a couple of nice looking New Zealand Tea Trees at one of my local nurseries that I am interested in. I am trying to find out what I can about them.

George, I got a tip from an Aussie friend that said you can get away with bare rooting if you keep the roots under water for the entire process. I'm going to try it sometime, so I'll post some results and (if it works) details of the process. Might be in a few months though.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's an Erin pot, Judy. I've had a few other trees in it over time. This tree will look better once it buds out for the season, but I was on a photographic tear the other day, since I had to "take it easy" after surgery on my right hand (nothing serious), and couldn't do any "real" bonsai work.

Top Bottom