Terrible Water Wand

CoreSeverin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Everybody!
Its been a while since I posted, hope you all had a good summer, and look forward to a good autumn!
My dog tried to get the hose to turn back on by chewing up my water wand, and destroying the rose on it!
I bought a new one, but it kind of beats the crap out of my trees, and kicks too much soil around.
do you guys have any recommendations for a water wand that isn't terrible?
-Core

CoreSeverin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now that is a thing of beauty. I wonder if I can just buy the head, and attach it to the body of my current wand?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As long as you have the water pressure for it...
I had a saga of hose head for watering.. tried the dramm, comes out as 1 solid waterfall of heavy water. Tried the dramm with accompanying pressure handle, same result.
Tried different hose tubing, connectors for the hose, etc.. nothing. I simply dont have enough water pressure in my current house, to use a nice hosehead.

Alternatively got a more higher pressure hose fixture from a generous person on this forum, which is good. But is the high pressure sort, so its good for certain bits bit quite all.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm a long-time Dramm 1000 (and 400, the black one) user. At close to fully-on (certainly more than half) the water that came out of it was extremely fine. I also noticed it seemed really harsh for the soil on trees in pots. After using someone else', I broke down and bought a Masakuni watering wand this spring because it is as much better as everyone claimed. I was going to buy another for my second growing area, but instead I consolidated growing areas. The water is soft ...and gentle at every amount of flow. I'm also able to make sure I'm watering just the soil, keeping water off the foliage as is recommended for most species.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm a long-time Dramm 1000 (and 400, the black one) user. At close to fully-on (certainly more than half) the water that came out of it was extremely fine. I also noticed it seemed really harsh for the soil on trees in pots. After using someone else', I broke down and bought a Masakuni watering wand this spring because it is as much better as everyone claimed. I was going to buy another for my second growing area, but instead I consolidated growing areas. The water is soft ...and gentle at every amount of flow. I'm also able to make sure I'm watering just the soil, keeping water off the foliage as is recommended for most species.
I think I should give up, as I can't change physics but do you think that wand is good, even with low water pressure?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
So, this one then? It does say it has metric threads. Would that be a problem with a run-of-the-mill home depot hose?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's the guy I bought from ...when I was buying a pot from him on FB auction. The one he sent connects directly to my hose w/ no problem.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Forgot to mention, I've got a brass Dramm (I think) shutoff valve as well.

Rhomer1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am new to this forum and have gotten a lot of valuable information. I must be missing something with this topic. I have been watering my Bonsai plants with a $2 adjustable sprayer for the last 12 years. If that isn't available I use a gallon jug. Wondering if the plants know the difference between a $70 wand and the one I got from the hardware store for $2. Just my thoughts.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am new to this forum and have gotten a lot of valuable information. I must be missing something with this topic. I have been watering my Bonsai plants with a $2 adjustable sprayer for the last 12 years. If that isn't available I use a gallon jug. Wondering if the plants know the difference between a $70 wand and the one I got from the hardware store for $2. Just my thoughts.
How many trees are you watering? If you have many trees and want to water each pot in semi-automatic process, you risk washing the substrate out of your pot. The gentler the shower, the easier watering becomes.
When I ask someone to help me out, I typically reduce the waterpressure of the wand to reduce the risk. But still I often find washed-out nebaris.

Rhomer1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How many trees are you watering? If you have many trees and want to water each pot in semi-automatic process, you risk washing the substrate out of your pot. The gentler the shower, the easier watering becomes.
When I ask someone to help me out, I typically reduce the waterpressure of the wand to reduce the risk. But still I often find washed-out nebaris.
I have 10 trees and all of them came from my yard, 2 white oak, red cedar, walnut, maple, fir and pine trees. None of them are fancy as seen on here but my main objective is to keep them small in a pot and alive. I also have a curly camellia that we planted a few years ago that I thought I would work on since it wasn't doing very well in the ground. It has been in a 6x4x3 inch pot for 2 wears and right now has 9 flower buds, more than before I dug it up. It is about a 18 inches tall. I like it because it is all twisted without being wired. My set up isn't fancy although sometimes I wish it was a bit nicer.

I always turn down the water pressure and water them slow as to not flood them and wash out any nutrients. My substrate that I use is Bonsai Jack's Organic Bonsai soil mix. Retains water yet drains really well.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If yours is working for you, I wouldn't change anything. I've gone through my share of big-box watering nozzles. They didn't seem to last too long. That led me to the Dramm watering wand/nozzle and I was pretty pleased in regards to its durability (though I did crack the head on one from not being terribly gentle in placing it down.) Its application of a small amount of finely diffused (is that the right word?) water was where I was a little disappointed.

Rhomer1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If yours is working for you, I wouldn't change anything. I've gone through my share of big-box watering nozzles. They didn't seem to last too long. That led me to the Dramm watering wand/nozzle and I was pretty pleased in regards to its durability (though I did crack the head on one from not being terribly gentle in placing it down.) Its application of a small amount of finely diffused (is that the right word?) water was where I was a little disappointed.
Well I agree, I have gone through a few nozzles. If I were to buy one of the mentioned wand my wife would accuse me of spending more time/money with the plants than her. :)

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well I agree, I have gone through a few nozzles. If I were to buy one of the mentioned wand my wife would accuse me of spending more time/money with the plants than her. :)
I cringed when I had to tell my children to be careful w/ the nozzle. My wife was out there at the time and she asked the dreaded question. I simply replied, "More than you'd think." Thankfully she didn't pry any further.

CoreSeverin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll have to keep my eye out, I can't get anything too fancy though since my dog just chewed up the new one. She likes to play in the water and she must think that it will turn back on if she chews it...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hopefully these make sense. First series shows the dramm 1000 valve position before all water is effectively broken. Next shows the lowest amount of flow. Finally full blast. Same series in the same order for the masakuni. I have a quick-replace fitment so I can switch between watering implements.

Attachments

• 67FB162B-F603-4D75-8B60-FF7B1C455E55.jpeg
    67FB162B-F603-4D75-8B60-FF7B1C455E55.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 118
  • BCFFDDF3-3374-4A87-8E51-250FE322F480.jpeg
    BCFFDDF3-3374-4A87-8E51-250FE322F480.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 107
  • F736AC2E-1CDC-493E-96CD-3500E55A53FC.jpeg
    F736AC2E-1CDC-493E-96CD-3500E55A53FC.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 109
  • EA4C3BF1-8C6C-4633-9043-6E3D9674AB5B.jpeg
    EA4C3BF1-8C6C-4633-9043-6E3D9674AB5B.jpeg