The 2010 Bonsainut Maple Project

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let me know if you need a baby sitter for any of the small tridents or hornbeams...lol

Thank you for sharing your work on these trees. I really appreciate being able to follow your progress.

On a serious note about the small tridents:... I want to find a quality, small trident to grow over a rock that I have. I don't know whether you're interested in selling a tree, but if you are... could I post a picture of the rock to see if you think you have anything that would fit the style and size? I can also look in Colorado tomorrow, but there aren't very may places that have bonsai stock, and I haven't seen very many tridents at those nurseries.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you typically sell some of these tridents? If I lived on the west coast i would love to have one of these materials, they look like great starts. Guess I'll have to follow your threads and do the work myself.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the comments Dan. One sticky thing about growing tridents on rocks. The tree needs to be large enough to have good thick roots to mold around a stone and short enough so it does look like ...well..... you know a statue of a male member. It really takes a person well versed in making trees without stones to get a tree ready for attaching to a stone.

I only have one tree which I have prepared for a stone for a number of years. This tree has been in training for 7 years from seed. This year, tomorrow possibly, it goes on a stone. I have not picked the stone, I have a puiece of petrified wood I want to use, but am not sure that will be the way to go. I'm still thinking a smaller stone in a pot so I can display it traditionaly is the way to go.

Check in on my backyard thread for future developments. Even if I can't help you with a tree right now, you can watch and see how mine comes out. Maybe it will help?

Pay special attention to the scarless trunk please???

Attachments

• DSC_000100013.JPG
    DSC_000100013.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_000200022.JPG
    DSC_000200022.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 107

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you typically sell some of these tridents? If I lived on the west coast i would love to have one of these materials, they look like great starts. Guess I'll have to follow your threads and do the work myself.

I have never really considered myself a grower. At least in the sense that I would grow it and then sell it. Each piece I grow, I grow for myself an I think that is what makes my material seem desirable. If I was growing it to sell I would not be paying so much attention to detail thinking I need to leave something for the next guy when in reality, premium material needs to actually be semi finished. I know there are those here that do not see it that way, they think that allowing someone to almost finish a tree is not really doing the work yourself so how can you take credit for it. Well thats a whole nother thread, but for me I grow it to keep it. If it seems desirable than I must be doing something right. I might add, something anyone can do. This is not rocket surgery.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Smoke,

This is info that isn't in the books, and great to know. It sounds like it will be a long term project... which is ok with me. That's one thing I have going for me...not a lot of experience but I do have patience.

I also really appreciate how your trees don't show the scars, as you pointed out.

Thanks again for sharing :)

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you and Smoke are the only ones left. Most of the others aren't around any more.. Mm

Top Bottom