The 2010 BonsaiNut Maple Project

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great Idea Al!

I've never tried Trident maples so this is my first shot at them. You'll get to see how the tree ends up using my method and timing (for better or worst) along with the Central Florida growing season. I'm starting the thread now but won't do much with the tree until the spring.

Here's the plan. I have a seedling maybe 2-3 years old with the goal of becoming a sumo-shohin. It will be chopped and severely root pruned and potted up in a very coarse growing mix. All of this done just as the buds are swelling. I have no idea how well this method will work. But I'm applying the same method I use with Crape Myrtles. Both Tridents and Crape Myrtles seem to be able to handle severe chops and root pruning without skipping a beat. I'll post a pic of the current tree later today.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know it's way overdue but there wasn't much to see until recently. Here is one of the tridents I'm growing out. It was root pruned severely. There were only a few feeder roots emanating from the trunk. It didn't leaf out until a few weeks ago (when this pic was taken). I haven't included a pic of the other trident. It's about pencil thickness and had the same root treatment as this accept it wasn't chopped and it was placed in the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_4204.JPG
    IMG_4204.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 219

bonsaidad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan I just started mine, it's a little smaller than a pencil but going pretty good for this flordia weather. I'm in Port Orange just a hop,skip and a jump from you.

John

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan I just started mine, it's a little smaller than a pencil but going pretty good for this flordia weather. I'm in Port Orange just a hop,skip and a jump from you.

John

Hi John. You're right, we are super close to each other; I'm in Deltona. Do you go to any club? I was going to the one in Orlando but it takes me an hour or more to get there. Nice group of people though. I think there is one in Bunnell but that's just about as far. We should start one for our area :D ;)
Anyway, I'd love to see how yours is coming along. Do you have any troubles growing tridents that close to the coast? I know Jason Schley in Daytona does it but his are in a sort of micro-climate in his nursery.

bonsaidad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan
No I don't belong to any club at this time maybe Bunnell. So far my maple has grown well and I'm about a mile from the ocean, i've had trouble with my white pine (zusho) it died maybe salt in the air. My black pine is doing ok. I met Jason at his nursery and Mike Rogers too, nice people and knowlegable. I'll try to post my maple when I get a picture.

John

bonsaidad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my little Trident.
John
trident.jpg

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I got in a years time growing in a pot. I'm pretty surprised actually. I let it grow wild until June-ish and then cut it back and let it grow again. I'm going to repot soon to reposition the roots and possibly the angle of the trunk depending on what roots I've got to work with/develop. I'll post another update at that time.

Attachments

• Trident 2.jpg
    Trident 2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 121
Top Bottom