The 2023 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I made the same error in judgment with my live oak collected tree. I kept the lower part and the upper part never developed the roots it needed to develop.
In the spirit of torture, I cut it back again. Expectations are low for this one. 🤣
8A1394F7-C459-4AC4-8DC5-C6C7B6FE9FBB.jpeg

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In the spirit of torture, I cut it back again. Expectations are low for this one. 🤣
View attachment 470863

You cut off from the wrong end. If it were mine, I would have kept the wider base flare, spreading roots are a sign of age. I would have shortened the trunk. Now you have a nearly straight pole.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where do you mainly find places to dig ? Do you have people with land? Go to public places and get permission? Whats your go to method?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Where do you mainly find places to dig ? Do you have people with land? Go to public places and get permission? Whats your go to method?
I got lucky and have permission from a friend to dig in his private land. That said I can’t just dig whatever tree I want. I just dig the trees that are either unwanted or inconsequential to him.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most states you can get a transplant permit from the Department of Natural Resources. There's also the National Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management. Usually around $10 a tree. The further west you go without hitting another ocean, the less enforcement there is.😉 BLM doesn't really care unless an oil company wants to use the land, then you better not bend a blade of grass or you'll reignite the Sagebrush Wars.

Anyone you know with a tree they want gone, construction zones about to be bulldozed, etc. If it's an invasive species it's fairly easy to talk yourself out of trouble on public lands.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Most states you can get a transplant permit from the Department of Natural Resources. There's also the National Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management. Usually around $10 a tree. The further west you go without hitting another ocean, the less enforcement there is.😉 BLM doesn't really care unless an oil company wants to use the land, then you better not bend a blade of grass or you'll reignite the Sagebrush Wars.

Anyone you know with a tree they want gone, construction zones about to be bulldozed, etc. If it's an invasive species it's fairly easy to talk yourself out of trouble on public lands.
With cypress quickly disappearing in public land in Louisiana, the fine is $5000 and/or 6 months. It is not easy to talk oneself out of this one. Good luck with trying to get a permit to take a BC that is growing more than 6-12 ft from another healthy one.

Btw, in replacement for the trees I took, I am planning to plant about 1-2000 seedlings.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With cypress quickly disappearing in public land in Louisiana, the fine is $5000 and/or 6 months. It is not easy to talk oneself out of this one. Good luck with trying to get a permit to take a BC that is growing more than 6-12 ft from another healthy one.

Btw, in replacement for the trees I took, I am planning to plant about 1-2000 seedlings.
Oh, I understand this.
But then bald cypress isn't an invasive species. Not sure exactly what invasives are an issue in your neck of the woods, but here if I got caught digging a tamarisk or Russian olive I'd likely get a "thank you" and a handshake.
Similarly, if I got caught digging sagebrush on the side of the road, I'm more likely to get a lecture on traffic safety because there's no possible threat to the species.
You absolutely DO NOT dig anything without considering the environment, and any other potential consequences thoroughly. I've passed on trees I could have easily and legally dug because were holding an embankment against erosion, and the road is more important.
I'm just making the point that there are gray area work-arounds once you start to figure out how things work in your area.

CUTTINGS, on the other hand, are fair game if it's not a protected species.
Which always has me wondering, what are the legalities of air layering a tree on public land?
I'm not digging it, I'm not cutting it down, or killing it, or in any way removing it. Do I need a permit?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh, I understand this.
But then bald cypress isn't an invasive species. Not sure exactly what invasives are an issue in your neck of the woods, but here if I got caught digging a tamarisk or Russian olive I'd likely get a "thank you" and a handshake.
Similarly, if I got caught digging sagebrush on the side of the road, I'm more likely to get a lecture on traffic safety because there's no possible threat to the species.
You absolutely DO NOT dig anything without considering the environment, and any other potential consequences thoroughly. I've passed on trees I could have easily and legally dug because were holding an embankment against erosion, and the road is more important.
I'm just making the point that there are gray area work-arounds once you start to figure out how things work in your area.

CUTTINGS, on the other hand, are fair game if it's not a protected species.
Which always has me wondering, what are the legalities of air layering a tree on public land?
I'm not digging it, I'm not cutting it down, or killing it, or in any way removing it. Do I need a permit?
You would think that as long as you are air layering off a branch and not the main trunk you would be ok…. BUT… if it’s a protected species I’m pretty sure air layering still a no no. 🤷‍♂️

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Privet dug from, you guessed it, the roadside........ with cars whooshing by 4 feet behind me at 60-70mph. During the summer, I had cut the large main leader. The dig was pretty strenuous for a 68-year-old, but I've learned to take my time. Dig, dig......cut a couple of roots.....repeat. I had to plant it at a wonky angle because it was growing mostly out of about a 45 degree slope. The tap root was about 3" and privet is hard to cut with a hand saw. I filled the tub with the very rich mixture from my compost pile to which I add old bonsai soil and whatever else is at hand. Perfect mixture to start a tree in my experience.

This is going to be a several year project.

unnamed (53).jpgunnamed (54).jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You would think that as long as you are air layering off a branch and not the main trunk you would be ok…. BUT… if it’s a protected species I’m pretty sure air layering still a no no. 🤷‍♂️
That's what I would think, but then my daughter asked me once if I was stealing when snagged a cutting from a plant at Walmart. So who knows what people will do?

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's what I would think, but then my daughter asked me once if I was stealing when snagged a cutting from a plant at Walmart. So who knows what people will do?
I am a bit of a pincher myself, but I don't feel very guilty when I see how many plants they kill before they get sold...

Top Bottom