The beer bottle (or can) Bonsai Thread

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Note my Spaten Oktoberfest... also owned by A-B InBev. Though supposedly still brewed in Munich... or at least some of it has to be in order to be served at the Munich Oktoberfest.
A little sad (Dare I say, sobering) to see how all the smaller brewers have been bought out. Only a few mega-compagnies own most of all beer produced.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A little sad (Dare I say, sobering) to see how all the smaller brewers have been bought out. Only a few mega-compagnies own most of all beer produced.
In the US, the economies for starting up a small brewery have evolved so that many people can brew a cheap ale in their garage :) There are many local breweries popping up everywhere, some of whom make a decent beer - though they are almost universally ales, and skew towards lighter recipes with heavy hops and a bitter flavor profile (not my personal favorite). Lagers cost more money to produce, so there are fewer of them, and heavier beers with a fuller ingredient list also cost more, so you don't see them as often. There are plenty of beer drinkers here who don't understand that IPA stands for "India Pale Ale" and the whole reason why those ales were over-hopped was to create a product that could be exported from the UK to markets in India (hops being a preserving agent, and more hops were added to create an ale with a much longer shelf life). I have even seen "IPA Lager" here... which is kinda like seeing a "JBP Maple" bonsai tree :) But at the end of the day, if you like it, drink it, and I hope it makes you happy!

Leffe is available here - as is Stella Artois - and they are both produced at the same brewery.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and the whole reason why those ales were over-hopped was to create a product that could be exported from the UK to markets in India (hops being a preserving agent, and more hops were added to create an ale with a much longer shelf life).
And, if my mind is correct, were supposed to be watered down upon arrival in India. But there they never did, which is why they is so overflavoured and typically higher alcohol content.

Top Bottom