The big tree, little car struggle.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Does anyone else have this problem? You stop into a nursery and see a big, beautiful tree, perfect for either a trunk chop, or to air layer the top. On top of that, it's in your price range! So you immediately throw in on a cart, because of course if anyone else sees this beauty they're going to realize it's bonsai potential and snatch it right up if you walk away... You throw your money at the cashier so you can rush home and start showing the tree some love. Then you get out in the parking lot only to have a thought hit you like a ton of bricks. "Shit, I have a little car! How the hell am I going to get this home!"

Funny thing is, I have a work van, but I always seem to find the bigger trees when I just stop at a random nursery that I didn't plan on going to. I've had a 7ft corkscrew willow stuffed from my trunk to on top of the dashboard. A big, bushy bougainvillea poking the hell out of me the whole ride home. And my latest find last weekend, this gorgeous hornbeam that I almost walked right past.
View attachment 450552

But when you drive past a nursery, and they have a big sign saying all trees and shrubs are up to 50% off, and you're an hour and a half from your home and van, what are you supposed to do? lol. But it was well worth the cleaning I'm going to have to do in the car. $60 for this amazing tree is a steal! Still not sure if it's an American or European hornbeam, as it literally had two tags claiming both species.

View attachment 450553
Wonderful Hornbeam! They will grow around here, but nobody sells them.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even pwning a trick is not a guarantee of easy transport. Just this past weekend I had to remove the passenger seat from my Tacoma to transport a tree to the local club meeting. Took about ten minutes to pop out the 4 bolts holding it in place.
I forgot to add take steps to protect the disconnected electrical connection car side after removing the seat . A small towel wrapped and secured with tape . Will keep dirt out and protect the plastic from getting smashed . Especially if something heavy moves while driving

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you have a pic of the trunk base . Any idea exactly what species of juniper . I have found older long running nurseries . . With long time ownership or employees . And or landscape people a wealth of info in this regard .often can help with what was common and or available in landscape industry at a given time in the past .
4B0F6637-0D65-4A97-A798-28A6F29BEF02.jpeg8C3EE8A1-3BE4-4E25-B072-550640B3FC1D.jpeg
It has some obvious large flaws but I feel good that it was saved. I believe it to be some sort of Squamata so not ideal bonsai material, I had planned to graft Shimpaku but not sure I can wait the 30 years it would take to grow into a decent tree.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 455587View attachment 455588
It has some obvious large flaws but I feel good that it was saved. I believe it to be some sort of Squamata so not ideal bonsai material, I had planned to graft Shimpaku but not sure I can wait the 30 years it would take to grow into a decent tree.
All collected trees have flaws it had some great trunk movement I think it will be great with some deadwood and refinement . Native foliage is not bad will be fine on a larger tree

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get a pickup truck. Problem solved...or just reduce the trunk the parking lot of the nursery. Lots of fun, and the nursery staff might be shocked "you voided your warranty" or, they may not be "we've seen that before, want some help?" (if that's the response, return to the nursery as often as possible--they "get" bonsai...Even if you have a pickup truck and you have big "finished" trees, you have to get creative to transport them. I have to drive a very large oak bonsai twice a year to/from a bonsai nursery 70 miles from me for winter storage. Driving 75 mph on the Interstate would break/severely damage a tree that is exposed to the wind...The top of the tree is 6-8 inches taller than the cab of the truck. A bed topper is not tall enough, so I had to build a large plywood box to protect it--box breaks down easily for flat storage. Adapt, overcome... 😁
Nice tree☺️.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 455587View attachment 455588
Notch/bend upper straight trunk😊.

Top Bottom