The Five Year "Native Tree, Native Pot" Challenge!

pnwnovice

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alder is wired up already springing some tiny buds. It’s kept in the greenhouse where I apprentice at.

Nice! What kind of Alder? I have some Red Alder (Alnus rubra) that grows like a weed around here that I'm playing around with to avoid killing any more valuable trees with my newbie mistakes.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All winter in the greenhouse? At what temps? How long have you had it?
Nope not all winter in the greenhouse, it was dormant just in the ground, and melt under a tarp with the rest of my trees when it got below freezing. I took it to the greenhouse Feb 28 , but forgot to post on here until Sunday. The greenhouse is around 70F. I purchased it as raw stock from a native plant nursery close by in summer.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok not officially going to enter but this is one of my native tree/pot combos.... (prunus emarginata) Oregon or Bitter cherry, top section had been severely damaged when collected, it slowly recovered and I combined it with this river driftwood.....finally flowed.

Attachments

• EF3B1CD7-E55C-4506-9CAC-700754E822E7.jpeg
    EF3B1CD7-E55C-4506-9CAC-700754E822E7.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 00CA27C4-2707-4E63-A4F9-19721D976373.jpeg
    00CA27C4-2707-4E63-A4F9-19721D976373.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 64

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok not officially going to enter but this is one of my native tree/pot combos.... (prunus emarginata) Oregon or Bitter cherry, top section had been severely damaged when collected, it slowly recovered and I combined it with this river driftwood.....finally flowed.

...but I love that planting though!

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We had a crazy ice storm barrel thru town in early Feb (like ever feb, its a tradition around these parts) and it thrashed on one of my 100ft Douglas Firs.
I have 7 Douglas First over 80ft on my property, 3 hitting 100. Thankfully she held firm and I finally had my tree crew come thru last week and do some cleanup which included takeing down a large branch from right near the tip top of my big gal that was partially snapped. It was a really actively growing branch drowning in cones (they primarily cone from their very top branches each year)
anyway I couldn’t help myself but try… so I shaved thru the bark down the long underside ,slathered it with rooting hormone, packed it into chopped sphagnum moss, and secured it all.
if there is even the slightest chance this roots and I have a Douglas Fir raft to work on, I’m dropping everything and focusing on that for the contest. (Sorry vine maple, how often do you get to Raft a tip top branch from a 100ft tree?)
Not only is it literally the most “local” tree I have has, seeing as it’s parent is growing a mere 16inches from my house, Douglas Fir is also the Oregon’s official “State Tree”. So it would be super fitting. We also took a ton of cuttings of another part of the branch and will see of any of those root.
It would be so dweeby cool to grow and style a bonsai in the 100ft shade of its parent plant. Seems so appropriate for the challenge.

now if i could make a pot from some of the nasty ass clay soil that plagues my front yard….?

sanina

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-a
Hello! I live in Ukraine, in the suburbs of Kiev. We also have a small bonsai community.

Can I take part in the competition?

I have a European hornbeam tree (Carpinus betulus). The tree was taken from nature in the spring of 2019.

There is also a Bétula, dug out a month ago.

Excuse my bad English.

Attachments

• Carpinus betulus.jpg
    Carpinus betulus.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Apology not accepted. No one needs to apologize for speaking English as best they can. We have enough native speakers of English who make grammartical, spelling, or keyboard mistakes and we all figure out what someone is trying to say. We all just need to get close enough to be understood. You're close enough. In a pinch, when someone is stuck looking for the right word that doesn't seem to translate they can just spell it out in their own language and someone who speaks both languages will translate. This is not uncommon here. Welcome to the club!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello! I live in Ukraine, in the suburbs of Kiev. We also have a small bonsai community.

Can I take part in the competition?

I have a European hornbeam tree (Carpinus betulus). The tree was taken from nature in the spring of 2019.

There is also a Bétula, dug out a month ago.

Excuse my bad English.
Nice tree, Traveller!

The “Woody Dwarves” would like to welcome you to the Tiny Forest!

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

Arnaut

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Might as well try my hand at this one!
Planning to try the following natives:

Adenium Arabicum aka Desert Rose
Prosopis Cineraria aka ghaf tree (which is also the national tree of the country so - kinda have to try, right?!)

Possibly also Ziziphus Spina Christi aka Christ's Thorn Jujube (or locally sidr tree)

If opportunity arises, I might also try my hand at the ubiquitous white mangrove tree (avicennia marina), but the different growing condition scare me a little bit, to be honest! And saplings are hard to come by in nurseries.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I will play!
Groovy, traveller!

The Woody Dwarves witnessed you ‘rounding that last bend, and made us aware of your arrival... the feast is set, the drums will thunder high... deeply echoing ‘round the vast expanses of the Tiny Forest!

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Stella

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm new to the forum and just came across this thread.
I would like to enter as well.
I have a olienhout (wild olive - Olea europaea) as well as a wit stinkhout (Celtis africana) that will work.
The olienhout I won at our club being a dug-up stump 6 months ago
The Wit Stinkhout I dug from my garden Aug 2020.
Will take some pictures tonight

Top Bottom