The Houseplant Thread - what do you have?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Orchid cactus is an entirely different but related plant. I have had dozens of them.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Orchid cactus is an entirely different but related plant. I have had dozens of them.
Just Googled them, good call and they look cool. I like some spineless cactus type plants. I want a totem pole cactus someday

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
this thing has taken off since i brought it home. dropped aerial roots and is on its way to filling out. will have 3 main fishbones off it in no time
20210722_072534.jpg20210722_072606.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
some new lights from girlfriend
the rack is sparse this time of year, for the plants

i have some killer aloes in 2.5" and another set in 4" in other window that are doing well

you can see the one hoya that has thrived, i lost 4 of them lol
the longiflora and i think ill get a flower eventually on it

IMG_0930.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got a few leaves of each of these 2 rather sweet looking African Violets. Fingers crossed for root success.

D775A9D9-789E-4C8A-A6A7-6C954D41DFD1.jpegD394DDD5-2FE3-4BA4-9BBF-810684C9F1B2.jpeg

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Should've known there would be a houseplant thread here lol. Let me use this space for some confessional.

I've always liked alocasias, and am lucky enough to live where they're endemic. We get a lot of newly found species here.

That said, I recently stopped buying since I am pretty sure they are mostly illegally harvested from the rainforest.

Here's my last purchase, an alocasia sulawesi "Jacklyn":

20210810_150107.jpg

I guess the least I can do is keep it alive and propagate!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Should've known there would be a houseplant thread here lol. Let me use this space for some confessional.

I've always liked alocasias, and am lucky enough to live where they're endemic. We get a lot of newly found species here.

That said, I recently stopped buying since I am pretty sure they are mostly illegally harvested from the rainforest.

Here's my last purchase, an alocasia sulawesi "Jacklyn":

View attachment 397976

I guess the least I can do is keep it alive and propagate!
nice!! my african mask alocasia didnt tolerate rhode island winter. those are great looking leafs you got there.

also, i used to watch a guy from Jakarta, Indo, youtube channel called OnlyPlants. he has quite the setup
and i know about indo and bali surf breaks from surfing 20 years (half the time in snowstorms!)
you have WORLD class waves over there.

dude at 4:29 gets destroyed

i saw this recently in a greenhouse, elephant ear variety

20210912_111407.jpg

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
nice!! my african mask alocasia didnt tolerate rhode island winter. those are great looking leafs you got there.

also, i used to watch a guy from Jakarta, Indo, youtube channel called OnlyPlants. he has quite the setup
and i know about indo and bali surf breaks from surfing 20 years (half the time in snowstorms!)
you have WORLD class waves over there.

dude at 4:29 gets destroyed

i saw this recently in a greenhouse, elephant ear variety

View attachment 397977
I heard that alocasias go into dormancy in the winter. Perhaps don't be too hasty in disposing of seemingly dead plants hahaha.

I've seen his videos, but my setup is not quite as extravagant as his hahahaha. I'm usually only interested in very unique leaves.

The plant you have there is a colocasia, and it is actually grown for food here! Its fancy name is Taro (the purple yam stuff). I have one that is completely black because it looks like a leaf from hell:
20210917_102038.jpg

And I do encourage visiting the surf spots/dive spots that is really suffering in the past years because of, you know...

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I heard that alocasias go into dormancy in the winter. Perhaps don't be too hasty in disposing of seemingly dead plants hahaha.

I've seen his videos, but my setup is not quite as extravagant as his hahahaha. I'm usually only interested in very unique leaves.

The plant you have there is a colocasia, and it is actually grown for food here! Its fancy name is Taro (the purple yam stuff). I have one that is completely black because it looks like a leaf from hell:
View attachment 398120

And I do encourage visiting the surf spots/dive spots that is really suffering in the past years because of, you know...
i like that leaf there! have heard of taro. i think hawaii it is a popular alternative to potato chips
thanks for the info about the colocasia, and also, i heard the alocasia do go dormant. they are not easy per reputation
in a winter setup like i have, spider mites and ive heard they drop leaf before new leaf.
had mine in leca clay semi hydro!

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
i like that leaf there! have heard of taro. i think hawaii it is a popular alternative to potato chips
thanks for the info about the colocasia, and also, i heard the alocasia do go dormant. they are not easy per reputation
in a winter setup like i have, spider mites and ive heard they drop leaf before new leaf.
had mine in leca clay semi hydro!
If it's any consolation I have friends who have given up on all alocasias, and we're in the natural climate for these hahaha.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Sure! Here are some of the "presentable" ones. I like to bargain hunt so most of my plants come looking pretty beat up.

Syngonium Albo Variegata
20210723_105718.jpg

Caladium Red Beret
20210830_121745.jpg

Xanthosoma Sagitafolia "Mickey Mouse"
20210919_091931.jpg

Jatropha Podagrica
20210919_112144.jpg20210919_105347.jpg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
pretty current
some of them just getting their feet after inside move, or theyre dead

im glad i took a better look at my willow leaf ficus because it had some mealybugs. killed them with neem and they are in light rehab
20211113_132136.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A real surprise to find this orchid blooming this morning. I didn't even know it had a bud. I guess that says I have more than I can handle. The Christmas cactus always blooms for me around thanksgiving.
IMG_5561.JPGIMG_5562.JPG

Top Bottom