The Little Christmas Tree Contest (2020 - 2023)

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Oops I got too excited because I've already started and didn't read the rules :eek: can I still enter the above trees??

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oops I got too excited because I've already started and didn't read the rules :eek: can I still enter the above trees??

@B.uneasy is running this, but the rules are pretty simple/relaxed. Several other people have started messing in the last few weeks as they bought material, and that's fine. I don't think a few weeks in a 3-year contest really matters :) Be sure to start a thread in the contests section of the forum for posting updates on your trees, etc.

Stopped by lowes today and picked up a Colorado Spruce at 75% off so I'm in

Post some pics! And start a thread in the contests section!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think i will have to let this one go, checked couple of GC and no signs of Christmas trees anymore, maybe later in a year i will pick something, we will see.
So for now best of luck to you all, have a great tree at the end of the year 3!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang, running out of year. Going shopping today. Don't have Lowes or Homie Depot here unless I make a road trip. We do have Walmart but they're the devil... I did get a gift card from there so I'll have to go there eventually. Going to try my friends nursery first. He needs a couple motorcycles fixed. LOL

Looks like well over 30 entries so far. Wow

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Here are my two late entries:
1 - Procumbens Nana which looked great but unfortunately lost a lower branch from heavy wiring.
2 - Alberta Spruce which we actually used as our Christmas tree this year! It has been fooled into thinking its already Spring in the Houston weather.
I like that you wired down your branches but not too drastically.
I’ve been looking more and more at large trees/evergreens and I don’t often see trees with downward movement above the mid point of tree.👍

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Pretty excited to score some free cedar from the dumpster at a job.
1x5 cedar T&G.
DD37433D-615C-4A06-9CCF-447C304563A9.jpeg
Cedar grow boxes a plenty!
I will now have a variety of grow box prizes to chose from -for the winners.😉

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So is the goal to create a bonsai or little Christmas tree in the end? Or is that up to us to decide?

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So is the goal to create a bonsai or little Christmas tree in the end? Or is that up to us to decide?
Whatever way the tree sways you. Theres no rules at all saying it has to look like a Christmas tree. That wasnt my intention at all, whatever you think suits your tree best. I know I wont be following any guidelines.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ryan Neil did a living Christmas tree video too. It's actually fantastic, it's like the beginner demo on Mirai. Of course the nursery he went to had freakin ridiculous specimens. The tree he bought would be $200 around here.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan Neil did a living Christmas tree video too. It's actually fantastic, it's like the beginner demo on Mirai. Of course the nursery he went to had freakin ridiculous specimens. The tree he bought would be $200 around here.
Right!!? That was one of the first videos I watched last spring when I got bit!!
If I remember he referred to them as "Liberty" pines. Right? Is there another name?
As you said, in my neck of the woods that's a couple hun for that size.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Is this the one ya'll are referencing?
Without watching it I don't know. The one I saw he drives to the nursery looking for a "living Christmas tree"? It was about an hour or hour and a half long. His goal was to turn a living Christmas tree into a bonsai, exactly like this contest.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Without watching it I don't know. The one I saw he drives to the nursery looking for a "living Christmas tree"? It was about an hour or hour and a half long. His goal was to turn a living Christmas tree into a bonsai, exactly like this contest.

This is part 3, likely of the same series, where he talks about styling said Christmas tree. It was the only Ryan Neil video I could find that mentioned a Christmas tree, I'll have to dig for the other parts. I haven't finished it yet, but skipping ahead it's pretty impressive!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Belated log in registration for a tree posted Jan 10th...

Top Bottom