The new pond for my trees.

sp1tf1re

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That pond is coming along nicely. I really don't have much to add to the direction of the pond. I do appreciate a nice pond though. Especially when you find and trade for materials.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got squirrels and raccoon:)

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
I have raccoons and feral cats, but also have a Cairn Terrier that takes care of business, Ernie 3 cats 0 so far. :) . And the turtles in my pond are a little too big for cats or raccoons.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could try a turtle. Done with fish.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
ahhh but whats another .47 cents;) . Or just buy a bag of feeder gold fish and let them grow. I had some big gold fish in my pond I think the largest was 8+ inches when it died. lost a beautiful butterfly koi at the same time because the pump got clogged in summer so the heat killed them.
Hell I had a 3lb catfish in there that would let you scratch his head if you gave him some bologna . lol

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looking great!

To pick up on the conversation from last spring, consider that my dog had to chase an adult heron out of this pond last spring (forgive the debris...early 2017 was hard on the landscaping.)
IMG_20170514_184946.jpg

Even though we have plans to expand the lower basin next summer I will be sticking with goldfish as my mosquito control. I got up sold at petsmart this summer and spent a whole $1.99 on one of these fancy ones. He made it through the summer, but only because his hiding instincts are annoyingly good (Mr. Motion doesn't believe that he exists).

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Spsrkle brings up a good point, mosquito's. We always had those tiny minnows in our pond to handle those. they multiply on there own and they are small enough to not be eaten by the raccoons or heron.
believe it or not but even here in the Palm Springs desert we still had a mean old raccoon that would try to get our fish from time to time but they had a ledge to hide under so only lost 1 goldfish to him I believe.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4500 gph pump with fountain and side squirter keeps the 1500 gal pond moving around so mosquitoes haven't been a problem.
I had fish before. 25 cent fish cost me 75 dollars for and aquarium and accessories to keep him alive thru the winter. And another PIA to worry about when I wanna jet to Florida in the winter. Me and the grandkids are all I want alive in the pond... and my Bald Cypress...and corkscrew willow...and lillys...and...
I get lots of noisy azz frogs too:)

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't want to start a new thread about it but, spent the weekend working on the bench I've been planning for a couple years. Still more to be done but...
Used composite decking but will be staining the wood and rear porch redwood when it cures up.
It's on the north side and will be double duty as winter storage under. The top is still being decided on. I think a roof over the center work area and window and a dry storage area built in under and above the heat outlets faar right to get supplies off the back porch.
I'm smilin...
IMG_20190512_171615407.jpgIMG_20190511_124157629.jpg

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am thinking of having Hot Cup of Coffee with lot of cream served with some freshly baked cookies along the pool, thinking of the future work.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice! I’m looking forward to when mine is settled in.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have done a nice job and don't second guess yourself, because its too late anyway. I have installed somewhere around 40 water features and all but two of those had a pond os the major feature. One was a disappearing stream that flowed from under a boulder and ran about 30 feet down hill and disappeared . One was pumping for a river up a small cliff to create a 30 foot waterfall. All the others were ponds with falls or fountains. The major one I have in my yard was the first one I did, about 30 years ago. Still works fine but every time I installed a pond I came up with "what if?" I'm too old now to think about doing it again. Besides, there is a 30-35 foot bald cypress in it.
You don't need to winter your fish in an aquarium. I am in zone 6 and a stones throw from zone 5 and my fish have never succumbed to the cold even at -14 degrees. My butterfly koi in the larger pond have spawned babies which are now pretty large. The fantails in the smaller pond also make it through winter unscathed. I have lost fish to Heron, racoon, bear, water snake and bullfrog. There are several things to help limit this, but its going to happen.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always a work in progress.
I love it and spend a huge amount of time here as the second pic is from my work location. LOL bike shop in the back yard. The commute can take hours some days...
Last pic is my Koi. GrandkoiIMG_20190627_111242008_HDR.jpgIMG_20190623_145607097.jpgIMG_20190628_152849627.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_111242008_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190627_111242008_HDR.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 19

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forgot about this thread.
I finally got around to completing the walkway all the way around the pond. Had to use some plain cement stepping stones as I couldn't find any match for the free ones I got with pea gravel in them. I put them in the back where you don't see them as much.

The bridge over the overflow creek isn't quite finished as a larger stone or paver will go there. Some pea gravel in the dry creek bed is coming too.

A small grow bed between the garden needs some dirt too.

My trees and I enjoy it out here 😌
IMG_20210826_100544105_HDR.jpgIMG_20210826_123942888.jpg

IMG_20210826_124021277_HDR.jpgIMG_20210826_124547238_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom