The odd species for bonsai thread

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Polylepis lanata has interesting and unconventional bonsai possibilities. I'm still working on thickening the trunk and it is looking like it may take a decade, maybe more, from my cutting started about 4 years ago - large leaves and long internodes dictate a bigger bonsai.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stopped by my local nursery on my way home from work cause I had the time and had a headache I wanted to walk off.
My species is Salix purpurea ‘nana’ I could only find one example of it in bonsai and it was an old post by wireme. It was the only one with a single trunk and it was very twiggy and it’s a willow so maybe I won’t kill it to much when I play experiment on it next spring

50% the tag and I had to turn down the offer to use my $10 credit for being a member lol 480CA3EA-263B-40EE-A086-9136F837F5CA.jpegD04385A9-B003-4ECB-B348-49D33BDC60B3.jpeg5299CB90-0790-4F58-B2D4-3C93355BAFF4.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Stopped by my local nursery on my way home from work cause I had the time and had a headache I wanted to walk off.
My species is Salix purpurea ‘nana’ I could only find one example of it in bonsai and it was an old post by wireme. It was the only one with a single trunk and it was very twiggy and it’s a willow so maybe I won’t kill it to much when I play experiment on it next spring

50% the tag and I had to turn down the offer to use my $10 credit for being a member lol View attachment 269390View attachment 269391View attachment 269392
I bought a house this year and it has 2 Dappled Willow, (Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki') planted in front of the house. I am going to dig them up in spring and move them to the backyard but you better believe I’m going to start some cuttings also. Not sure what it will do but I’m excited to try.
78273934-9525-4886-83CD-CFBBAA073F92.jpeg

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Sorry no pics but I have a Nothofagus Antarctica I got at a boutique nursery in SC. Very promising little tree. I saw one in a Peter Chan book once and read about it in Bonsai International as a solution to having a shohin beech. Bark is really smooth and dark so interesting to watch it develop.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought a house this year and it has 2 Dappled Willow, (Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki') planted in front of the house. I am going to dig them up in spring and move them to the backyard but you better believe I’m going to start some cuttings also. Not sure what it will do but I’m excited to try.
View attachment 269431
My parents have offer cuttings of theirs to me. They inherited it from some friends who were getting rid of theirs and my dad just placed it in their grass compost pile because he didn’t know where to put it 😁 Have fun with it

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry no pics but I have a Nothofagus Antarctica I got at a boutique nursery in SC. Very promising little tree. I saw one in a Peter Chan book once and read about it in Bonsai International as a solution to having a shohin beech. Bark is really smooth and dark so interesting to watch it develop.
Oh boo. I was hoping to be in a league alone and keep my secret for a while. I've got 2 upright nothofagus and a third that is prostrate (my shohin. No pix either (for now).
Love the bark! Love the little leaves! At any rate, not everybody can grow it. It is native near @barrosinc but where he lives is too hot to grow them.

Maybe we'll have a throw down (down the road :D).

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
View attachment 269431
My mum had a lovely mature standard one of these and I gave it a good prune late winter and it carried on as normal then died following a really hot and dry summer (2018). I’m almost certain it wasn’t the pruning that killed it on its own, but the summer with little to no water. Story short, keep them hydrated. They are willows after all, beautiful variety.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Carol, this is going to be my first winter with this species. They normally either lose their leaves or die back to bigger branches if planted in the yard here . I just put this one in a mildly heated workshop in front of a south-facing window. I see you're in Illinois, so I'd treat it like a tropical or semi-tropical......whatever that entails in your climate. They grow really fast in warm weather, so keep it clipped regularly once you get it close to the size and shape you want.

Top Bottom