The rock thread.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We dont already have one of these do we?

I quite like rocks. So I thought maybe a thread like the tree thread may bring more out. You know mandatory to post a picture with reply. Things that can be called suiseki, rocks that look like things or just look cool. Rocks that can be used as planters.... call’em stones if you like.

Here’s a new one for me, fresh outta the truck 5 minutes ago. 58EC47A2-0105-496C-B5DF-186AA05687C2.jpeg

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very cool! Its hard to get a sense of the scale of this rock. Where'd you find it?

Here's an old tree I found at the top of Mt. Spokane (which is a really big rock) Added pic due to my dumbass fail, then realized my pic literally has no rocks in it. Need more coffee......
:261861

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
3 Cotoneasters planted on tufa - all cuttings - still in development. I have 2 more that I've been considering adding to the composition. For those that don't know Tufa is soft: I carved out the planting pockets for all 3 trees in 10 minutes. Within a few months it had moss all over it. The planting is about 7 years old.

IMG_20190713_181547.jpg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Always wanted a boulder. Got this in June. Used a backhoe to pull it into the yard, but haven't taken the time to jack it up and get the pipe out from under it yet. 4,300 lbs.
CW

Attachments

• 20190910_181201.jpg
    20190910_181201.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 54

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We dont already have one of these do we?

I quite like rocks. So I thought maybe a thread like the tree thread may bring more out. You know mandatory to post a picture with reply. Things that can be called suiseki, rocks that look like things or just look cool. Rocks that can be used as planters.... call’em stones if you like.

Here’s a new one for me, fresh outta the truck 5 minutes ago. View attachment 261853
Are you kidding me?! So, I believe the following was recently overheard being uttered by @wireme: “OK, so, we’ve got world-class Yamadori oat-side the front door. Oh, and did I fail to mention, we have suiseki oat-side the back door? Yah, and my daughters can play with glitter-farting unicorns. They’re a bit skittish, though. Only come within 10 meters of the house. Sore-ee, you’ll have to excuse me now - have to go see the latest masterpiece the Bonsai Bear has created for me.”🤣
Oh, almost forgot my rock:
32C07C05-C48E-48D3-9368-8BA64CA8D222.jpeg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you kidding me?! So, I believe the following was recently overheard being uttered by @wireme: “OK, so, we’ve got world-class Yamadori oat-side the front door. Oh, and did I fail to mention, we have suiseki oat-side the back door? Yah, and my daughters can play with glitter-farting unicorns. They’re a bit skittish, though. Only come within 10 meters of the house. Sore-ee, you’ll have to excuse me now - have to go see the latest masterpiece the Bonsai Bear has created for me.”🤣
Oh, almost forgot my rock:
View attachment 261896

Ha, ha! Nice rock👍.

It’s all a matter of time, time exploring and time collecting. I’ve done the exploration time, know exactly where to go to find nice trees and rocks. Lately the time to get out there has certainly been lacking, been wanting to get back to that creek for the last 5 years. I hope to go looking for planting slabs sometime before next spring. To the site where I found the rock this spruce sits on, about 1 1/2 hr drive. Spruce needs a haircut, (time again). I hope I can find more like this but better, larger and thinner hopefully. There’s a few trees in the yard that could use a home other than a wooden box!185EFECC-3F5C-4A31-BE90-BBF367A8C175.jpeg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
This little stone was found on the beach at Plockton (Scotland), just across the water from Skye. It reminds me of the Black Cuillin mountains on Skye. The base is a little awkward for carving a daiza - I'd appreciate seeing design suggestions if anyone has a similar stone in a daiza. The coins underneath are propping it up in the position I think it will need to sit in.

Top Bottom