The secret to buying a decent bonsai candidate at a REGULAR nursery is....

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with you Adair but: This summer I had a chance to make it through a number of nurseries in you part of the country and I was appalled at the paucity of material, and locations. Nurseries seemed to be very sparse and far between. However; the cost involved in the bonsai nursery means you have to find one, there is not one on every corner. If you desire to drive, walk or crawl on hands and knees, the distance involved could mean taking off a couple of days work. My nearest bonsai nursery is 35 miles away and she only deals with tropical trees. I don't think there is one nearer than Ohio, or Pennsylvania, either one at least Two-hundred miles away. As to bonsai clubs; there again they are not all that common, in in our case very often the material you may find here is questionable.

I don't mean to make this sound condescending but a couple of you guys seem to think dropping a couple of hundred dollars on a single piece of material is nothing. That's not true for all of us. I spent less that that on all of those Mugos I bought last summer.
True, Vance. Living in the Atlanta area, there's a couple places that sell bonsai starter stock. A lot of it is reasonably priced, well under $100. It all depends on size, age, amount of work put into it.

The trees I buy for myself are not trees I'd recommend a beginner to start with.

But the advantages of shopping at a bonsai place include:

They are going to stock the kinds of trees suitable for bonsai: trident maples, Shimpaku Juniper, hornbeams, japanese white pines, etc., that you just don't normally see at landscape nurseries.

They'll have a selection of pots and tools, and soils available. Try going in to Home Depot and asking for pumice, or even lava rock. Or even turface! Lol!

I'm trying to think if I have EVER seen a trident maple for sale at a traditional nursery... I really don't think I have. I have seen Procumbens junipers, and Mugo pines. And Scots pines, and JBP pines. Some satsuki azaleas.

Most all the Japanese maples have high grafts.

Anyway, I still think it's tough for someone new to find something suitable for bonsai at the typical landscape nursery.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The problem around here and probably in many other locations is the fact that bonsai nurseries are few and far between like hundreds of miles.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem around here and probably in many other locations is the fact that bonsai nurseries are few and far between like hundreds of miles.
How far is Don B/ Gregory beach?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Closest one to me is that place in Dundee. The Fower Shop I believe Vance? 200 miles. Never been there yet. He was a vendor at the last 2 club shows. Kurt.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Kurt is a good guy he is about 60 miles from me probably 200+ for you Mike. My problem with Kurt is that he does not have a lot in the way of larger significant material. However I understand he is starting to expand his business and will be moving more into an area I will like personally. Thanks for reminding me of his business.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

True...obsolete in my area. Nurseries are a good hour to the closest. And further a two hour drive to a nicer one. I find my contacts I made through the bonsai community where most my trees came from. Along with better stock.

For nursery finds:
*I have one for sure (the free hemlock).
*A collected older Tamarax from my yard.
*Lilac that I'm still on the fence over.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honestly, you're going to kill 80% of your trees the first couple of years. Stick with nursery stock until you get a feel for this. Look for trees with a good trunk.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True...obsolete in my area. Nurseries are a good hour to the closest. And further a two hour drive to a nicer one.

I consider anything I can get to and back in one day, "within range". By that definition I probably have two or three choices.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I consider anything I can get to and back in one day, "within range". By that definition I probably have two or three choices.

Well...I find the further I drive the more disappointed I am in leaving empty handed. And...honestly my motto is..."Just because it can doesn't mean it should become a bonsai". So...I much prefer contacts and getting material already deemed qualities I want...than a hit and miss. Always more content that route.

Top Bottom