The Tree Thread

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
snow 2009 011.jpg
Cool thread! Actual bonsai were getting scarce here.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something Different

Pardon the picture quality; I wanted to share in this thread. This is some twisted wire wrapped in what feels like straw. The leaves are paper mache. Got this as a Valentine's day gift from my special lady.

And NO, I'm not going to chop it back to the first branch to get better taper. :cool:DSC03808.jpg

Keeper :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple of trees I'm working on:

Zelkova, Japanese Maple group

Attachments

• elmmaple.jpg
    elmmaple.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 407

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A bunjin ume I recently styled
file-180.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 273

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Great thread. I am enjoying it so much I feel some moral obligation to contribute. I am putting the birches up for a couple of reasons even though they are just basically seedlings. One is that you do not see many birches posted and the second is I have never seen any other this small (about ten inches) that have white trunks. I would be interested in other's experience in that regard.
Birchgroup.jpg

The second is a white cedar which I post because it is so ubiquitous around here. First is as collected and the second was taken last year.

cedar2'05.jpg
Cedar#2 2012a.jpg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great thread. I am enjoying it so much I feel some moral obligation to contribute. I am putting the birches up for a couple of reasons even though they are just basically seedlings. One is that you do not see many birches posted and the second is I have never seen any other this small (about ten inches) that have white trunks. I would be interested in other's experience in that regard.
View attachment 32070

Never have seen any birches as bonsai, much less white birch. Being in Maryland they dont last a long time. At my place in Maine, I have them big enough to make a canoe out of. Love the rock wall too, by the way.

The second is a white cedar which I post because it is so ubiquitous around here. First is as collected and the second was taken last year.

View attachment 32071
View attachment 32072
Did NOT see that coming! Very nice!

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A

Gene,

I was never able to get any of the birches (paper silver or grey) to really live up to what I hoped were their potential. About the time the bark was whitening, the trees were dieing back in NH.

Tamarack and alder are trees that are worth your search IMO.

My new residence is just about too south for them :(

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Virginia Pine

Here are a couple of seedling that I dug from a neighbors yard (about 6" at the time) a few years ago. Still needs to develop some bark but I hope for these to represent a group of the tall lobolly pines that grow here in South Carolina... maybe 30-36" now...recently wired and repotted.

IMAGE_ACEF6829-C1CC-4308-8813-489423AC2BFC.JPG

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good idea Dorothy. Will you be at the Fort Myers meeting next weekend?

Not the best angle, but here's a "Hachi Gen" JBP i picked up from Brent last month.

Attachments

• JBP1.jpg
    JBP1.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 315

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Bald Cypress

Here is a tree that I hope to work on this year...(unless someone decided to take it off my hands:D) It is the largest in my collection at nearly 6' and it is potted in what I believe to be the largest mica drum pot available. I did carve the top of this tree 2 summers ago but have only been pruning for ramification since then.

IMAGE_616B808E-DCF4-4A58-B430-9F9C0E88B98D.JPG

I am serious about wanting to sell this one...it is very large and not shippable but I would be willing to talk about driving to meet up with someone in the Southeast if they were interested...send me a pm.

John

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Gene,

I was never able to get any of the birches (paper silver or grey) to really live up to what I hoped were their potential. About the time the bark was whitening, the trees were dieing back in NH.

here's a birch, great tree horrible photo
birch.jpg

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I cannot get over the buttonwood cascade that Dorothy posted at the beginning of this thread. Dorothy does your screenname come from that tree? Heres a ume that i just decided to begin training as a cascade
ume cascade.jpg

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Gene,

That is just why these little birch trees caught my attention when I collected them. Being both white and so young makes me wonder if something decent and unusual can be made of them in a relatively short time. Like I said, I have never seen anything like them before.

I have all the tamarack and alder I can deal with right now. You're right about them being great material though.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
heres a pic of a California Juniper at the Huntington Library Collection in So. California being repotted by Mr. Neil.
some may know the other fellow in the background grinning. Note the pretty elaborate tie down with a small single drain hole pot. Tree was at least 4' and fairly rotted at the base.

ryancaljuniper1.JPG
ryancaljuniper.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Acer

Here is a little guy or gal I got from wee tree. Not sure what direction I'm going yet. Entertained the idea of air layering to get 2 trees and or Anderson flat. Ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 248
Top Bottom