The Tree Thread

Forest Bean

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Girard Rose Azalea I bonsai'd today. (Is "bonsai'd" grammatically correct? I'm tired right now so my thoughts aren't together.) Many accidents happened while trying to wire this tree. I have found that Rhododendrons are stiff and easily snap when you are trying to wire them. I have many other projects going on at the moment I hope to work on for many years to come.

Attachments

• IMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 25

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Girard Rose Azalea I bonsai'd today. (Is "bonsai'd" grammatically correct? I'm tired right now so my thoughts aren't together.) Many accidents happened while trying to wire this tree. I have found that Rhododendrons are stiff and easily snap when you are trying to wire them. I have many other projects going on at the moment I hope to work on for many years to come.
Yes, you really can't wire lignified azalea. Wire the new shoots that are still green. They'll lignify in about 6 weeks and you can remove the wire. Then cut back and let it grow out again. Wire again. Remove wire. Cut back. Let it grow out again...

Once fall comes, remove wire for winter.

IMG_0295.JPG

Broom style Zelkova just starting to bud out.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow nice photo with the wysteria flowers!

Big yew i repotted recently
20170318_173533.jpg
Virtual with what i hope to achieve in 20 years lol
downloadfile-5.jpg

Sorry if i broke the rules by posting 2 pics

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
White pine. More disorderly looking in the pic than in person. Prob in need of a prune this fall. A little kiyohime in development for a few years with problematic lines. And an azalea i repotted that probably needs more thinning on the bottom based off this pic. Funny how stuff hits you in pics but not when the tree is in front of you.
IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Visited my Rocky Mountain Juniper. Collected by Sam Miller.

@wireme is the plastic bag a branch you plan to eliminate?

I'm ready for spring!View attachment 137312
Holy crap! What a magnificent plant! Please document progression on this beautiful specimen tree. I could never afford anything that nice but would love to see and live it through you.
Thanks ahead of time for sharing.
Regards,
Leonard

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rocky Mountain Juniper collected by Sam Miller
Chicago, your really putting together some sweet trees. Mostly Junipers still? Any plans for other species?

Here is the first tree I ever collected (spring 14') , a Larch, just wired last night, a few stray branches still need some wire.larch17.JPG

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Chicago, your really putting together some sweet trees. Mostly Junipers still? Any plans for other species?

Here is the first tree I ever collected (spring 14') , a Larch, just wired last night, a few stray branches still need some wire.View attachment 140591

A larch is high on my list to add in the future. Chances are if I can keep up my current pace of study, I'll add a new species in 3-4 yrs. I still want to push the junipers currently on the bench.
IMG_20170408_173014894.jpg

Top Bottom