The Tree Thread

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I wondered if someone would say something. How about a tree that's going to be mine this spring?
Jack pines I found yesterday out walking with Rupert.
Its much better than it shows in the picture.View attachment 185787
Isn't it spring already??
IMG_0741.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Indeed. What’s that on the left in the blue pot, a big warty ginkgo?
Corkbark JBP Kyokko Yatsabusa in a Gyouzan pot.
View attachment 187056

It is Bri. A recent purchase from Don. It reminds me of an old baroque cathedral. I love their quirky and unique growth characteristics. I'll have to take better pics of it.

Yatsubusa elm experiencing the wrath of Mother Nature as she introduces spring!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spent a rainy Sunday pulling old needles and removing wire. This tree is beginning to look good in spite of the fact that it doesn’t have any branches in the “right” places, and has repeatedly rejected my attempts to graft some!

So, this one will just have to be a “rule breaker” tree! I’ll wire it again after I decandle it this summer, and I expect by fall it should settle in. I might be able to show at the club level next year. It will be a couple more years before it can go to the Regional shows.

D977E659-FD0D-479B-923B-13A2A867196A.jpeg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hokkaido Shinpaku started to grow again, it needs to fill in a lot more and thinking of grafting back branch on the top right
View attachment 187063

The top is the money shot and is awesome, the rest kind of detracts from the whole image. Lots of intrigue!! Like a surfer or snowboarder going for a ride!

2018-04-15 13.15.41 HDR-2.jpg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
The top is the money shot and is awesome, the rest kind of detracts from the whole image. Lots of intrigue!! Like a surfer or snowboarder going for a ride!

View attachment 187106
Thanx but I don’t think I’m gonna get rid of the bottom part though :)
Ezo spruce styled as shimpaku
DEE0325F-FC19-4362-AA85-F8640CD86E3D.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanx but I don’t think I’m gonna get rid of the bottom part though :)
Ezo spruce styled as shimpaku
View attachment 187160
Pinus Contorta ( collected Shore Pine)
I am happy with the basic styling, waiting for the foliage to compact and the shape to fill in.

Attachments

• IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9231.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 47

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Pinus Contorta ( collected Shore Pine)
I am happy with the basic styling, waiting for the foliage to compact and the shape to fill in.
That’s actually a very nice trunk, I think you should try to get the apex lower though or remove some part or so.
A little Ezo with a long way to go, I’m rethinking the direction to go with this. We’ll see..
2BCC8572-3E76-4A30-85D3-9FE4846DA2B1.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That’s actually a very nice trunk, I think you should try to get the apex lower though or remove some part or so.
A little Ezo with a long way to go, I’m rethinking the direction to go with this. We’ll see..
View attachment 187185
Yes, the initial styling and wiring is designed to open the branches and encourage the development closer to the trunk. As the interior develops over time the design will be compacted. Selected candle treatment and cutback will be the order of business for the next three or four years. By then the canopy will be more defined and fuller. Before reducing back the apex any further i wish to have more candles and buds in that area. This will allow me to wire form a more rounded lower apex.
This is my Sierra Juniper. It is in the process of changing clothes. Will be adding several additional scion grafts of Kishu foliage this spring. Waiting for signs of growth pushing strong on the tree. The natural foliage although attractive in a way, is very sparse, sappy and has a distinctive odour.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 55

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love working on raw material and especially love Beech. I picked this one up for very cheap at my local plant nursery.....its gone in to a crate for maximum growth and wound healing, early days...will do a thread as it develops
20180416_134745 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180416_214934 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bobby,

I like the beech. Nice taper, could be a very elegant tree. Keep us posted
You owe a pic, @james . This tread demands a pic of one of yours every time you post.

It is SPRING !!! :D

Third year horse chestnut has broken bud

IMG_20180417_121840338.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love working on raw material and especially love Beech. I picked this one up for very cheap at my local plant nursery.....its gone in to a crate for maximum growth and wound healing, early days...will do a thread as it develops
20180416_134745 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20180416_214934 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
Nice base and movement. Selection of branches to remain is evidence that you know what you are doing.:)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The OP:
In picking up Dario's thought I'd like to start this thread where,if you comment, you have to post a picture of one of your trees. You can post the same tree multiple times, but from different angles, or details about the tree or the container.
We will thus continue commenting on each others' trees and post more trees. :D

Here's my tree, Conocarpus erectus - Buttonwood:

View attachment 31965

Best,
Dorothy
Obligatory tree photo:
43853A84-85B4-4DA5-AFF9-70D1538E7442.jpeg
Carry on...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice base and movement. Selection of branches to remain is evidence that you know what you are doing.:)
My Bad. Forgot. Collected sub alpine fir. Recovering with pumice!

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    586.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0884.JPG
    IMG_0884.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 58

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I love Alpine Fir. Can you give us a bit of the tree's history like how long have you had it and roughly where it was collected? I saw some really nice ones last summer in Glacier Park.

I have included a Mugo Pine I worked on in a Video, did some wiring and major repotting last August.

DSC_0109 copy.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Bad. Forgot. Collected sub alpine fir. Recovering with pumice!

My for now one and only subalpine fir. This will be the third season post collection and it should be ready for some work. Not much to see yet but I’m getting stir crazy antsy to play with trees and all I can do is post old pics! It’s probably not going to help. One week of good weather and I just might be able to get at this one. I should chase after more of these, this one responded well to collection. I like the elephant skin bark that they get.40CF0B4C-FBF4-4234-81AC-C4C61CCF023C.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My for now one and only subalpine fir. This will be the third season post collection and it should be ready for some work. Not much to see yet but I’m getting stir crazy antsy to play with trees and all I can do is post old pics! It’s probably not going to help. One week of good weather and I just might be able to get at this one. I should chase after more of these, this one responded well to collection. I like the elephant skin bark that they get.View attachment 187719
They do respond well and i really like the way they back bud giving lots of future design options lower down and in the interior. Which Is usually a problem with older specimens of other tree types.
Here is a Ginko that is beginning to take shape, just before bud break.

Attachments

• IMG_9155.jpg
    IMG_9155.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom