The "Van Meer" Technique to Scar Closing

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Johnny, here is one: https://moonlightbonsai.wordpress.com/2018/03/05/japanese-maples-and-healing-large-wounds/

The Van Meer technique seems that it works but I do question the end result and how good it looks after it is all healed. Have not seen more than one (maybe two examples) of its results. It seems to require near surgical precision for it to work. That's first step. Then hope it all heals well and looks natural.
That is a great article. I like your improvement to the process. How many seasons before you will remove the other half?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Guy on EarthNationCeramics...
Someone asked him if he could do a rolled over lip on a mug....

His explanation...

Sure I could do a rolled lip on a mug..but why?
It's less comfortable to drink from, leaves possible air pockets in your mug which can blow up....

And most importantly....

It's a "show off" technique.

I feel the same way about this Van Meer.
A terribly inefficient "show-off" technique that doesn't really serve maker or final user well.

Cool as shit....

But so Is jumping off of a very tall building...
Until of course...
You hit the ground.

Sorce

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
I've tried the process with no luck.
I think the problem is when you remove the wood underneath the bark you break a cellular bond that existed and can't be replicated.
I have no scientific way to prove this, so it is just an assumption.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I’ve tried the Van Grow technique. What you do is cut the branch off completely, and then grow the snot out of the tree above it and voila! The wound heals over.

Yep... that's I what I do. Sometimes is best to cut your whole ear off!

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
That is a great article. I like your improvement to the process. How many seasons before you will remove the other half?

Johnnyd,

This article is from my blog and I am in the bay area of California - I am Boons fulltime apprentice. Maples and deciduous trees in general develop a bit slower compared to other regions of the US due to our cold summers. With that in mind I would probably remove the sacrificial half in 1-2 years. However this greatly depends on your climate, how healthy/vigorous the tree is and what you are feeding. The sacrifice branch should be removed whenever it is no longer needed, thats the only factual answer one can give.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
My Guy on EarthNationCeramics...
Someone asked him if he could do a rolled over lip on a mug....

His explanation...

Sure I could do a rolled lip on a mug..but why?
It's less comfortable to drink from, leaves possible air pockets in your mug which can blow up....

And most importantly....

It's a "show off" technique.

I feel the same way about this Van Meer.
A terribly inefficient "show-off" technique that doesn't really serve maker or final user well.

Cool as shit....

But so Is jumping off of a very tall building...
Until of course...
You hit the ground.

Sorce

This technique is not a show off technique, are you familiar with Ebihara of Japan? He developed scarless Japanese maples quicker than anyone did before him using this method. If you replicate what he did, make razor sharp clean cuts and seal with cutpaste it works quite well.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This technique is not a show off technique, are you familiar with Ebihara of Japan? He developed scarless Japanese maples quicker than anyone did before him using this method. If you replicate what he did, make razor sharp clean cuts and seal with cutpaste it works quite well.
Thank you for your response. I am very interested in trying this technique. Do you know of any videos? What size chisel do you use?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This technique is not a show off technique, are you familiar with Ebihara of Japan?

Master Show off techniquer?

Of course!

It's amazing....don't get me wrong...

But My school....the one that I actually dwell in....

Does Bonsai to Celebrate Nature.
Further...(uh oh!)

I hate Society and all Its Bitch ass liars and fakers so much that I see a simpler way to care for my Family but alas, this IS NOT a free country, so eventually, my peace would be ruined by the greed of man with his bulldozers and need to sell to another nan what that man already has rather than giving that man the education he needed to turn his lumber into shelter for himself.

You see, people joke about give a man a fish, we speak it all the time.

But no one sees the value in it.

No one gets any of the lessons we read daily. (Meme, meme)

We STILL claim to "love our country" but people do not know how to properly display the flag.

IMO you don't get to love your country unless you stop at night when you see our flag without lights, take it down, fold it properly, amd return it the next day.

I saw a Giant vertical flag displayed backwards once visible through a Giant window in a billion dollar building downtown.

It was corrected the next day, which is good, because I didn't have to double park like a jagoff to go cuss someone out for being a Douchebag, get a ticket, and end up explaining to some judge that if he doesn't let me off, he too, doesn't give a fuck about his country....blah blah blah...

And if I had time to return to the place where I have seen flags, EVERYWHERE without lights at night I would....but I couldn't be a rat in their race if I did, because I would get fired from my job for never showing up on time!

So my 2 options are, Fuck My Country.
Or Fuck my Family.

I do not like being forced into this position but I dont mind it, because it gives me insight into the fact that they do not care about us.

So yeah....

All that just to say....

I prefer no grafts.
I know putting a tree in a pot is unnatural.

I have to accept that I only need to do that inside this society full of people with their heads in their asses who only talk about giving a fuck when in fact they don't.

Sorry...near legit splitsville with the Sorceress for dumb ass reasons and when I go as far out as need to to actually fix the first problem it somehow leads to seeing all this other shit that is fucked up behind some sin....

And fuck religion...not sin as in context of religion....

But context as in how Far we get together as people if we Lie, Cheat , Steal, Hate, etc..

People that don't understand how hurting other people hurts themselves no matter what little they may gain for the short term...
They are Fucking stupid.

Human Fucking Plague.

So what I'm saying is...
Even before Ebihara's method was invented because Something was "broke"...
Something was BROKE!

We wouldn't even need to keep these little trees in pots if we HAD NATURE TO WNJOY AROUND US AS WE SHOULD!

But we broke that shit a long time ago...

And run around the globe raping and pillaging tribes whobare perfrctly happy in their world...
Under an idiotic guise of religion to steal resources....

To introduce them to a world of useless Meme's that are so true yet hold no value because our shit is broke on top of broke on top of broke..

#conversiontoutopiawhereeveryoneishappierisrealifyouletit

But we aint ready...

Yet.

Sorce

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I am very interested in trying this technique. Do you know of any videos? What size chisel do you use?

I'm not sure of any videos, I'll make one next time I have a tree in my hands that is fitting for this technique. You really don't need the chisel... Ebihara typically did a wedge cut versus the more squared off cut i did. If only doing the wedge cut which is sufficient on its own the only tools needed would be a sharp saw and then a very sharp knife to clean the cut so that it is completely clean and even.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think it should be called the John Baka technique,just sayin
I'm just curious if this (see attached) -- from his book Bonsai Technics (1973) -- is what you were referring to or something else? These figures were this first thing that came to mind when I read your comment. It's obviously a different technique than the one discussed here but related in being based on a similar principle?

Attachments

• IMG_7768.jpg
    IMG_7768.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 34

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I'm just curious if this (see attached) -- from his book Bonsai Technics (1973) -- is what you were referring to or something else? These figures were this first thing that came to mind when I read your comment. It's obviously a different technique than the one discussed here but related in being based on a similar principle?
Interesting. Will try it next time I remove big branch. Or even smaller one.

Top Bottom