The Van Meer Technique

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
http://ofbonsai.org/techniques/styles-and-styling/the-van-meer-technique

I think it was @Anthony who brought this to my attention a couple years ago...
I never got a chance to try it on the tree we were discussing at that time...it's fire wood now.

I was watching some YouTube bonsai videos the other day and I found Hans Van Meer's channel, he has a few really awesome videos there, hopefully he'll add more.

I was wondering if anyone here has successfully pulled this off...???

If you scroll down the linked page, you'll see he does a similar technique to split large surface roots too!....now that looks like something I might be able to use.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
http://ofbonsai.org/techniques/styles-and-styling/the-van-meer-technique

I think it was @Anthony who brought this to my attention a couple years ago...
I never got a chance to try it on the tree we were discussing at that time...it's fire wood now.

I was watching some YouTube bonsai videos the other day and I found Hans Van Meer's channel, he has a few really awesome videos there, hopefully he'll add more.

I was wondering if anyone here has successfully pulled this off...???

If you scroll down the linked page, you'll see he does a similar technique to split large surface roots too!....now that looks like something I might be able to use.
This technique looks difficult but worthwhile in certain circumstances. I wonder why you would use the cambium flap from below the wound instead of above? I thought that sugars produced by the leaves would flow downwards and aid in healing the wound.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This technique looks difficult but worthwhile in certain circumstances. I wonder why you would use the cambium flap from below the wound instead of above? I thought that sugars produced by the leaves would flow downwards and aid in healing the wound.
That's a good thought there!

Top Bottom